Rainbows

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Inglorius_Bass_Turd
Participant
Participant

Post by Inglorius_Bass_Turd »

Clarification:

In my last post I mentioned the regs for single barbless hooks. It is mapped out for me in certain sections....I don't want to get blasted! Oops.
I'm a staunch conformist so I hope the last thread wasn't taken the wrong way....

On that note, anyone ever see people fishing live bait in protected streams that have posted signs that are mandate use of artifical bait and single barbless hooks? I live 10 minutes from this beautiful stream that has bows and browns, which by way of live bait anglers and people who use treble hoooks has been picked clean.

Gangus
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Gangus_span,

The regulations for the upper/middle Grand are pretty explicit...single barbless hook only. (i.e. if you toss a tandem fly rig or even an artificial with a trebble hook you are looking at a hefty fine.

They're also extremely picky when it comes to the barbless hook as well. They will ask you to stick your hook through your shirt. If if gets snagged when you try to take it out it's not considered barbless. I've also heard of the use of a q-tip to test for a barb as well.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ok ..

Post by D-mo »

Fly rod ... full sink line ... and here is the secret ...
troll in sweeping S curves through the lake ... you will find that the rainbows will hit as soon as you start going in to the S curve .. as your full sink line is a) slowing down and b) sinkin'.

I use streamers myself ...

d-mo ..
Inglorius_Bass_Turd
Participant
Participant

Post by Inglorius_Bass_Turd »

Todd B,

Thanks for clarification. I definitely wouldn't EVER fish my stream with a barbed, double rig or treble hooks. It frys my bacon to see people ripping rapalas, spoons and spinners with big barbed treble hooks through the creeks in sanctuary areas. It's almost as bad as the number of roll up the rim to win cups that are scattered about the area.

When tying or trying a new fly I'm sure that I bend the barbs down. I'd be somewhat reluctant to put my hook thru my shirt though. If the officer insists on it, than it's their shirt that'll volunteer!!!!

The trout population is becoming so sparce in the local creeks that I've actually foced myself to try and fly fish other bodies for different species. This is damn near impossible with my severe case trout fever!

Thanks again,

Gangus