Float tube or Pontoon

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
sunchaser81
Participant
Participant

Float tube or Pontoon

Post by sunchaser81 »

Hi everyone,
I need some help, I am thinking of buying a float tube or an inflatable Pontoon, but can't decide on which one.
I would be using it for some fly fishing and spin casting on very small lakes that I would hike into for speks and bass.
I was wondering if the people that have one of these would like to share the the pro's and cons of each. Some of the pro's and cons I have thought of are:
tube is lighter and do not need to put it together at waters edge
pontoon will sit higher out of the water (that is a big pro for me)

I have never had the opportunity to use these so I am not sure which one to get.
thank you in advance and any suggestions are greatly appreciated
sunchaser81
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I have both a tube and a 'toon and I use the tube way more than the 'toon. If you have to hike and you are just doing lakes, the tube is the way to go. The 'toon will be heavy and bulky on a hike. However, you can probably rig up a wheel to move the 'toon about on land.

The main pros of the 'toon are 1) you are sitting well above the water, 2) you can take it out into current, 3) you can go some distance and 4) you might be able to add toys such as an electric trolling motor.

Tubes are much more portable and a quality tube is very comfortable and might keep your butt out of the water. I have a Super Fat Cat LCS and if I inflate the seat enough, I am out of the water. I have no problem doing a 4-5 hour stretch in the tube. For reference, I'm 6'2", 230 lbs.

HTH,
Doug
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

If you're targetting small lakes, a tube would be your best bet based on portability on hikes and ease of set-up at the water's edge. You might also consider features like storage pockets and "D" rings.

Like Beachburger pointed out, there are models in which you sit slightly above the water. I used a Waterskeeter Daytripper for about 8 years and Todd B has a later model. I really loved my tube (had to sell before moving to Japan) and miss the fun of fishing the Valley....
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

sunchaser81,

The guys at Float, Paddle & Fly run demo days with their watercraft every now and then. You might want to give them a shout to see if they're planning another one soon. If they are it might be worth your wild to drive up and try them out before making your decision.

Cheers,
Todd
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
sunchaser81
Participant
Participant

Post by sunchaser81 »

Thanks for the replies
The 'toon that I was thinking of was the "Arrow Backpacker Pontoon" but after reading the reviews on it I think I will stay away from it, too many of the same problems with a lot of people that bought it.
Todd, I have sent an email to see if Float, Paddle & Fly have tryouts.
I think the tube will suit my needs better, lighter, compact, easier set-up equals more fishing time :)
sunchaser81
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

jcorrigan is an F-H'er with a tube who lives pretty close to you. Here's a thread about the latest addition to his flotilla.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=35678
sunchaser81
Participant
Participant

Post by sunchaser81 »

Thanks beachburger,
I will see if I can get out with him, I will pm him and see if we can hook up and try out his spare tube with him.
thanks
sunchaser81
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Myself, if I were to replace my Water Skeeter I would invest in an Outcast Fat Cat or a Super Fat Cat. They may be more expensive than the competition but the user feedback has been exceptional.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
sunchaser81
Participant
Participant

Post by sunchaser81 »

Thanks Todd,
Are you talking about this one?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults
sunchaser81
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Yes, that is the one. Beachburger has the next larger model.

Now you can get either the foam block seat or the inflatable seat (i.e. more expensive). My Water Skeeter has a foam block seat and I have yet to try the inflatable seats yet. The biggest advantage of the inflatable seats is that the tube packs very small when deflated in comparison to the foam block model.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

what about a kayak.

nothing better i would say..cover a lot off water in no time and no body parts in water hahaha.

some kayak are very good for fly fishing.

i been looking at tubes for the past 3 years myself..and always go back to kayaks.

but do have to say float tube could have advantage in some situation....but not many.

i was fishing close to guy in tubes not to long agao and they i wish i had a kayak insted off that tube...but was in a good size lake.

same thing wit the guy in the pontoon that was there..he loved is pontoon but he said take way to mutch time to rig on shore before gueting on water.

kayak it take me..frome roof or trailer to water a full 3min..and i am ready to go if i not riging.

good luck in your purchase

but if you think goin into trail hiking a tube could be the way to go.

if you think going into small rivers wit current little pontoon might be the way.

but if you mainly hit med to large lake...100% kayak.

joco
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Had both. Floattube gets my vote. The lighter, less bulky and more portable the better.