Evening on the Ottawa

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Evening on the Ottawa

Post by Todd B. »

Well yesterday evening had to be the best fishing of any of the Evening Fishing Outings that have been going on this summer. The weather was perfect, almost no wind, great water conditions and a good hatch of various mayflys, caddis, etc.

A number of us waded from Bate Island over the the south channel straight away, knowing that there are a few good holes that consistantly produce fish. That and the fact that the water levels are finally at a point where it's possible to get at these particular spots.

I position myself above a section with two converging seams, tie on my signature heavy woollybugger (aka anchor), cast it out into the seam, swinging it back into the calmer water. 1st cast - fish on, 2nd cast - fish on. This pattern continued all evening. It was one of those nights where you couldn't keep the SM off your line. Sizes ranged from 6" to 13", all of which were extremely acrobatic and put up good fights in the current.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Any brown's?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

nope, no browns.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

That is fantastic... I regret that I have not made one single event event this season... But I regret even more that I did not make last nights adventures...

Great times, and I hope everyone had a similar "fish on" evening.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Everyone was into fish yesterday evening. Clearly the change in weather had them in a feeding frenzy mood after all of those days of sulking through the cold front. :-)
Inglorius_Bass_Turd
Participant
Participant

Post by Inglorius_Bass_Turd »

Todd,

Had the same experience last night. The rainbows were hitting on every cast with the light Cahill, but they left the brown wooly bugger "anchor" alone. In a couple weeks, just before the season closes, the big boys will be out to play in my creek.

On a similar note, I went out to find the watch I lost last night and saw about 15 bows all sitting on bottom in a deep pocket. I might have to take the anchor out after work today and have a go at em'. This weekend should be amazing!!!

Fly till I die,

Gangus