Help needed in finding a fly fishing item to buy

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Help needed in finding a fly fishing item to buy

Post by carp-starter »

I need help in locating a fly fishing item to buy.

I am trying to find a place where I can buy the “real” amadou or the artificial amadou (man made) – used to dry out CDC.

It has to be in Canada only. I do not wish to deal with brokerage charges, duties and whatever else.

Is there a store in the Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto area (within a 100 mile radius) that sells the REAL amadou?

Is there a store in the Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto area (within a 100 mile radius) that sells artificial amadou (man made)?

Is there an ONLINE location in Canada where I can buy amadou – the real amadou or artificial?

I thank every one for your help.

carp-starter
P-O
Participant
Participant

Post by P-O »

Well I've got two words for you:

Sham WOW LOL! Seriously, it should do the same job and would be available at most shopping centres.
Since what your looking for is made by MP, you should also be able to find it calling the bigger shops on the quebec side:

Theses guys have it on their website :
http://www.amimoucheur.qc.ca/menu.asp?parent=108

And theses don't have them on their website, but could have it in stock...
http://www.salmonature.com/achat/boutique/index.php
http://flyshop.torrent.ca/en/
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Post by carp-starter »

While looking on the web, I came across the following:

“First squeeze all the water out of the fly with a tanned deerskin patch, chamois, amadou, samadou, or other dry absorbent material.”

My reaction was – “then I have a lot of it. I can use Sham WOW that I bought some months ago”.

So, thank you for your suggestion.

It may not be the best but it would be better than nothing. The cost was only $19.99 for 6 sheets.

I have taken a look at the 3 web sites that you have given. I am familiar with Du Moucheur. The other 2 are new to me.

I did find a Calgary store that also sells online. They have both Samadou and amadou dryers. These look like the things you use to straighten out leader/tippets.

I knew the cost was going to be high but I almost choked when I read the price. The prices are - $15.99 (over priced) and $29.99 (the real thing). The real thing is on the PETITJEAN web site where it is more than $29.99 CAD – plus maybe duties and whatever else.

I will continue to search because I would like to buy it closer to where I live.

Thanks again.

Carp-starter
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

The prices you found are fair prices. Those stores are not making a killing selling it at those prices.

We are out of stock on the Amadou. We do have shamadou in stock.
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Post by carp-starter »

Thank you for your post gwright.

I think that I would prefer to purchase an amadou dryer. The price over Samadou is small and so why not get the “real” thing.

I am in no rush since there are less than 2 weeks of fishing left. Also, I have not yet tied any CDC flies. And, it is more important to tie some flies on size 30 hooks than to tie CDC flies. Next step will be size 32 hook if I can get this size in Canada – I have yet to find a location that sells #32.

Yes you are correct in saying “The prices you found are fair prices.” As I have stated in my previous post (above), the cost of $29.99 is less than the cost of the amadou dryer on PETITJEAN web site after converting the cost from Euros to CAD. And I still may have to pay duties if bought from PETITJEAN,

See below the address of the amadou dryer. That is what I am calling “amadou dryer”. Is this what you have sold at your store?

Please let me know when you get the amadou dryer. Send me an e-mail or a PM.

Thank you.

Carp-starter

http://www.petitjean.ch/eng/Amadou/default.asp
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

I am in no rush since there are less than 2 weeks of fishing left.
Nah, just buy an auger and become really good at target casting.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I am in no rush since there are less than 2 weeks of fishing left.
2 weeks? Heck, we're trout fishing till the lakes ice up! ;-)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."