Artic Grayling

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Artic Grayling

Post by katch moore »

Hey guys!!

I recently moved to Alberta, and there's some great Artic Grayling in the streams 5 mintues from my house, can anybody give me a tip on how and what kind of fly should use to hook onto one of those cool looking fish??

well i'm off to scout some new water/ice!!

thanks for the input.

Matt
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

I caught a quite a few of them when I was travelling in Alaska and the Yukon. Anything that's black will work. Try swinging a #10 black Woolly Bugger or #10 black Doc Spratley. For surface action try a #12 black Humpy or #12 black Elk Hair Caddis.
beeman
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by beeman »

They seem to bite almost anything !

Red Tags work well and are an easy tie.
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Only did it once but we caught a few on small black and black/yellow mepps spinners.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Prairieboy has it right... I have caught MANY in Northern Sask and all were caught on the smallest Mepps black spinner.

Keep in mind that these fish spook easy... IMHO they make brown trout seem like vacuum cleaner salesman.

As for Hard water fishing... There are a couple reservoirs up there, otherwise your stuck going into the foothill lakes for trout... These lakes can often freeze over HARD in October ... (Chinooks skip over the foothills.)
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

KM: Check the regs carefully before you wet a line. On some creeks and rivers you might only be allowed a single, barbless hooks - no trebles.

Good luck with life out in Alberta!
Time's fun when you're having flies.
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

thanks all for the tips,

I've checked the regs over and over. yeah the season closes at the end of the month. And yes Alberta is barbless.

Since my last outing with GettingJiggywithIt, i've been hooked big time on fly fishing. that's all i think about, and with the creeks i have with in a 30 minute drive is great.

well i finaly settled into the home. soon enough the waters going to be hard enough to punch a couple holes.

thanks all.
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Once the freeze happens you'll have no shortage of great wallleye, perch and pike action up in those area lakes.

Walleye stage in the west end of Slave Lake. That area is walleye heaven from first ice until June. The lake closes for the spawn but other than that it is great fishing.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

There is nothing like hooking into a big old mud shark on a fly rod!! A friend of mine went up north to fish, and he used small jigs and twister tales for the graylings! and did really well!!!