One last float

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

One last float

Post by Todd B. »

Myself and Don (another FH/OFS member) decided to give Challies Pond a try yesterday, given that it was problably our last chance to get out for float before the hard water returns.

The bows seemed to have a severe case of lock jaw, though I did manage go coax two small (12") bows to take a #10 brown palmer chenille bugger.

Maybe the constant "kaboom" of 3" red/white floats hitting the water from 75 yards out were putting them off. There were no less than 10 worm dunkers pounding the water from the shores. The only consolation was that there were not catching any fish. :lol:

Unfortunately from our converstions it was appearant that once ice fishing kicked in, the hard water guys will be taking their limit at every opportunity. Which is somewhat of a shame as it is a nice little pond (old quarry) with a lot of potential. It's a shame that the locals seem to treat it more like a "Loblass fish tank" rather than a recreational fishery.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Isn't that quarry stocked by the MNR for that reason?

and it keeps them off of the back lakes :wink:
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Once the hard water arrives it's open season on the back lakes by the ice fishermen.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
catfish25
Participant
Participant

Post by catfish25 »

I'm curious to here where this challies pond is located? To me it is suprising where fish can survive, Ive even caught fish in the stream in lesile park and mud lake near britania. :!: :!: :!:
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

you've fished mud lake??? what did you catch there???

That's one of my hotspots for bird watching. nice trails and docks!
catfish25
Participant
Participant

Post by catfish25 »

in mud lake near britania there is tons of brown bullheads, also a few years ago I saw some one in a Kayak fishing there for pike but I am unsure of the existence of pike in mud lake. There also might be other fish in mud lake but I am unsure of this. But in the late spring Ive caught of dozens of brown bullheads. In my oppimon you are much better off fishing the rapids by the filtration plant. I usually wade across to Island and catch walleye, bass and have seen 34 inch pike in this area. I have fished the rapids by the filtration plant for years and have learned the hotspots in that area. Watch for strong currents though especially when wading to the island. The fishing in this area of rapids has become quite unproductive in the past few years due to overharvest and exceessive fishing pressure and poachers . This summer at the rapids I watched some asians illegally keep a turtle and have also seen numerous people use mutiple lines. I wish the ministry would have crack down on these rule violators. PLEASE PRACTICE CATCH AND REALEASE I'VE SEEN THE SIZE OF THE BASS THERE NOTICABLELY SHRINK IN THE LAST FEW YEARS I YOUST TO SEE 12 INCHERS CAUGHT, NOW ONLY 8INCHERS. :!: :!: