Atlantic Salmon Fishing Gear

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Wabler
Participant
Participant

Post by Wabler »

Hello all,

I'm a local (Ottawa Area) hardware angler who generally gets to spend a day per week on the water, preferred location is Morrisburg. Despite having been fortunate enough to have married a Mirimachier, and made the annual + trips to the Miramichi, I have never taken the opportunity to go Atlantic Salmon fishing. Until now. I have finally made arrangements with a Miramichi guide to go fishing next October. That gives me about 10 months to learn everything I can about fly-fishing and atlantic salmon. What better place to start than with the friendly folks at Fish-Hawk.

My first step will be to start accumulating the necessary gear and I was hoping to get some opinions on waders. I have started reading reviews on various waders and I'm leaning towards the Orvis Silver Label. I will likely only be fly fishing a couple of times per year, so I don't want to break the bank. The Orvis Clearwater reviews haven't been that flattering with leaking feet being a common complaint. Thoughts?

My mother-in-law was kind enough to give me her old fly rod, but i'm thinking it may be a little undersized. It's an old St. Croix (30+ years) and it doesn't seem to be stamped with the weight. Unfortunately, I think I'm also going to have to shell out for a new rod and reel. I believe the guide advised that I find a 8.5 to 9.5" 9wt and a large arbour reel. I would be very appeciative if someone could point me in the right direction for an affordable set-up. If anyone has any used gear to unload I would be very interested.

Finally (sorry for being so long-winded), my research has uncovered an Orvis outlet store in Lake George, NY. I was wondering if anyone had visited this store, and if so, is it worth the trip?

Any and all suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Wabler,

While I personally have a pair of Orvis Pro Guide waders, and am currently pleased with them. Since you are not planning to wear your waders often you might check out what's offered at L.L. Bean. A fellow angler was looking into purchasing a pair and was informed that they will stand behind their 100% satisfaction guarantee (including leaks, etc).

As for rods, you're probably looking at 9wt that is at least 9' in length. I would suggest looking at the TFO series I and the Ovis Clearwater II rods. The TFO offers a lifetime warranty and the Clearwater has a limited (25yr) lifetime warranty. Both are solid rods that won't break the bank.

Since you're targeting big fish that can make long hard runs, a large arbor reel with a smooth, reliable drag is important. In this particular case, I would look for something other than an entry level reel. I'm currently using an Okuma Helios on my 8wt. Shop around and check out the reviews.

With respect to the Orvis Outlet, if you're looking for possible deals, without any warranty then they can be a good place to shop, otherwise stick to the local dealers that will take care of you as loyal customers.

Todd
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Colin_M
Participant
Participant

Miramichi Salmon Fishing

Post by Colin_M »

Wabler,

Greetings from a displaced Maritimer.

It is super that you will have a chance to fish the Miramichi - a world-class Atlantic Salmon river. Here are some of my favorite web sites that might be of interest to you, along with a recommended list of what to bring by one outfit. I've seen salmon landed on everything from a $30 CT special to a $1000 fly rod. As for waders, will you be primarily shore fishing or fishing from a canoe/boat during your trip? I've been using my CT waders for 12 years and they have held up quite well on a number of trout and salmon streams.

Best of luck,
Colin

Miramichi Salmon Association

http://www.miramichisalmon.ca/

Fly Fishing Atlantic Salmon

http://www.flyfishingatlanticsalmon.com/index.html

Colford's Atlantic Salmon Fishing Tackle Advice

http://www.colfordsguiding.com/tackle_advice.html

Fishing Reports

http://www.wwdoak.com/index.php?index=57

Wilson's Sporting Camps: What to Bring

http://www.wilsonscamps.nb.ca/atlantic-salmon-fishing/

Rods: You should have at least on rod in the following approximate lengths and weights. 8-9 1/2 foot rated for 7-10 weight line. Longer facilitates line control and heavier weights help more in windy conditions.

Lines: Two floating lines being weight forward or double taper. Your line should match the weight of your fishing rod. For spring fishing you need a slow sink or floating with a sinking tip.

Reels: Two reels or one with an extra spool with a different line. Recommended are reels with smooth, strong drag systems, and capacity for 150-200 yards or 20 lb. Test backing.

Waders: We recommend light weight or neoprene stocking foot waders with removable wading shoes for comfort and mobility. Wading shoes have felt soles. Also gravel guards and wader belt. Wading staff is optional.

Clothing: You should have long underwear and heavy clothing for spring fishing. With warm socks, warm footwear, good rain gear also for summer and fall you should have sweatshirt, with jacket and hat with visor.

Leader: 9-12 foot tapered to 4-8 pound test tippet

Accessories: Bug repellent, lip balm, vest, leader material, clippers, dry floatant, sun glasses, pocket knife, flashlight, sunscreen, camera and carry bag.
Evan
Participant
Participant

Post by Evan »

Hey there, i have orvis silver label waders and they have been nothing but trouble for me. I have a total of 5 leaks in them and the first 2 happened within the first year. I've contacted orvis about it and they kept saying they ship a pre-paid postage return package but have never seen it until 2 months ago, by then i had lost the reciept. Anyhow, as far as waders for fishing atlantics, if its sept/october you'll be fishing, which is the best time to fish them, i'd go neoprene cause the water is cold in those river, unless your going to fish all summer, then their too warm. The best neoprene ive had were cheap bare river waders, i wish i still had them this past fall when fishing atlantics.
Evan
Participant
Participant

Post by Evan »

Hey there, i have orvis silver label waders and they have been nothing but trouble for me. I have a total of 5 leaks in them and the first 2 happened within the first year. I've contacted orvis about it and they kept saying they ship a pre-paid postage return package but have never seen it until 2 months ago, by then i had lost the reciept. Anyhow, as far as waders for fishing atlantics, if its sept/october you'll be fishing, which is the best time to fish them, i'd go neoprene cause the water is cold in those river, unless your going to fish all summer, then their too warm. The best neoprene ive had were cheap bare river waders, i wish i still had them this past fall when fishing atlantics.

9wt rod with an intermediate sink tip works well. My buddy had ordered sink tip from wwdoak.com the last week of the season cause he seen it working for me in Mabou, Cape Breton (had to throw that in there) and got it 3rd last day of the season, first day he caught a grilse and last evening of the season landed a 39" salmon with a girth of 22", he was pretty pleased with the line.
8lb leader minimum- from my experience, any lighter you'll end up over playing the fish.
Wabler
Participant
Participant

Post by Wabler »

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

I've heard some Fish-Hawk fly-anglers refer to themselves as the "dark-side" but judging by the speed and quality of the replies (and PMs) I've received on this topic, "dark-side" may be better suited for the shenanigans that go on on the other side of Fish-Hawk. It's making me seriously consider switching sides full time (don't read too much into that).

I've looked into the LL Bean waders. The reviews seem positive and the price is unbeatable. I'm planning to visit some of the local shops this saturday to check out some rods and reels.

All I need from you now is your secret trout spots so that I can practice before my trip next October :wink:

Thanks again for all the advice.
Colin_M
Participant
Participant

Post by Colin_M »

Wabler,

For warm-up, you might consider fly fishing Spring Steelhead on the Ganaraska or other Lake Ontario tributary streams - it is the closest thing to Atlantic Salmon fishing that you will experience in Upper Canada:

http://www.thefishinguide.com/ganaraska.shtml

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... can151.php

However, I am morally and legally obliged to inform you that fly fishing is terminally addictive. May God have mercy on your soul.

Cheers,
Colin
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Re: Atlantic Salmon Fishing Gear

Post by carp-starter »

Wabler wrote: Finally (sorry for being so long-winded), my research has uncovered an Orvis outlet store in Lake George, NY. I was wondering if anyone had visited this store, and if so, is it worth the trip?
If you are looking for a deal at the Orvis outlet store in Lake George, N.Y., go ahead. I have never been at that store. The only thing I have done in Lake George has been to stop and get some Mac Donald's food on the way back to Montreal.

But I have a suggestion. Since you will be in Lake George, why not drive the 55 miles (about 90 minutes) to Manchester, Vermont. This is where THE STORE is located - ORVIS. You will find a lot more to look at.

Spending money on a pair of waders is not my cup of tea. I have never and I will never spend more than $100.00 on a pair of waders. My limit is really $75.00 but I just increased it to $100.00. Boots do not increase in price but fly rods and reels do.

The guys have given you good info as to what to buy. It does not have to be an Orvis.

Here is site for Albright fly rods that are - up to 80% off. I have never seen an Albright rod but the price is low. But if you have something shipped to Canada, the price can go up and up - duties, taxes, brokerage charges and shipping. These rods are cheap but so is the prices. My choice would be another maker's fly rod if I do not have with me a 2nd rod as a backup.

Good luck.....

carp-starter
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

Hi there,

You've got a good strategy. It can take a few trips (or a few dozen) to get the hang of fly fishing. The learning process is fun and catching your first fish is something you won't soon forget.

I myself bought a few Albright rods last year during a similar sale. I purchased an A5 and a couple GPs. I can say that they are of good quality for the price. The shipping and duty can be a pain though as you won't know what it will be until it's shipped here. Count on it being in the range of $20 to $60 depending on UPS, USPS, and Canada Post. I can give you some advice on shipping from Albright if you like. I've found that the ferrules on the rods come loose much easier than other rods. You can deal with this by sticking a blade of grass in there or using rosin. If you are in the downtown area, I can show them to you and give you a quick casting lesson. You won't be able to test drive Albright rods in any fly shop because they sell direct to consumer these days.

Regarding waders, I have a pair of breathable Simms lightweights and I like them a lot. They are light, comfortable and warm enough to wear during the winter with long johns underneath. They run about $200 these days. I've had mine for about 5 or so years now but only put 10-20 days a year on them on average.

Good luck. I can provide more info on the Albright rods if you wish.
Rich
Wabler
Participant
Participant

Post by Wabler »

Thanks again all,

I'm thinking the LLBean waders may be the way to go. There's the $50 model and the $100 model, currently free shipping to Canada, and the reviews seem positive.

Thanks to wongrs, I just had a look at the Albright website. Is this too good to be true? $250 reels on sale for $45? $200 rods on sale for $60? Even a combo (everything down to the leader) for $60. Even the waders seem to good to be true. What am I missing?