Where would you go?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Climber2k
Participant
Participant

Where would you go?

Post by Climber2k »

So I have received permission to plan a fishing trip on my own...thx hunny..
I am a beginner fly fisher, looking to go mid september, dont mind hiking, I have 3 days and would like to catch trout and will drive 4 hrs approx from Arnprior. Throwing a 6 wt line..
So what do you think? any suggestions would be apreciated.
Thx :D
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I highly recommend the Haliburton Forest Preserve. Great camping and still water fishing for rainbows and specks averaging 15 inches. My best rainbow was a 20" and my best speck was 21".

You'll need intermediate or full sink lines to get down the 10 to 15 feet where the trout are holding. I've had success using streamers such as conehead muddlers, grey ghosts, wooly buggers, hammil's killer and the like in sizes #6 to 10. A 12 foot long leader with 5X flourocarbon tippet worked best.

There are some creeks that require a bit of hiking in order to find pools and riffles that hold trout.

It's about 3.5 hours from Arnprior. Book early in spring for a September reservation. Weekdays are usually best and there are few people in September - it's almost like you've got the place to yourself.

www.haliburtonforest.com
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Climber2K,

Fishboy's recommendations are always bang on.

What you failed to mention was the type of fishing you were looking for.
i.e. stillwater/lakes (from a boat or tube) or wading?
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Climber2k
Participant
Participant

Post by Climber2k »

Y eah I suppose that might be critical information. I was thinking more rivers/ creeks that I could wade. I dont know if I will have the second reel setup by then..but who knows.
Thx
CM
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Climber2K,

Pretty much everyone that's looking to fish rivers/creeks for trout head down to NY State. The NY DEC provide great online resources for anglers. The Public Access Maps can be found at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9924.html.

There is also the Diable R. near Tremblant.
http://www.naturaventur.com/Habitat.html

You should be good with floating line for any of the rivers.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."