back into fly tying..simple way

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

back into fly tying..simple way

Post by joco »

ok i did a booboo few months ago sold all my tools vise everything box off tying materiel now i want to go back into it..for some off my own tying project..new stuff off my own.own models.

but i sher dont want to get all re equip again..the wife will kill me..after i sold everything.. :lol: :lol:

so i will be going freehand tying and make myself a few way to get hook on some grips...everything i own now.

to hold thight ..like mini vise grip//exacto work great...and my drill shuk.and some little kit the one you use to do eltronic soldering etc.

for holding ......tiny electronic plyers//twezer//

materiel.....a bit harder but nothing expensive..have to be frome dollar store no more then that or try to get stuff around.

its more a chalenge to myself to do fly the less expensif as possible.

will post the fly tying in going and finish product as soon as i start to get into it...most will be for bass and pike/musky so time to gte a few done before it open.

joco.i do have to say i did baught some this past week at the show and at float paddle and fly they were great flies..its just now i want that little fun project will see...mabe a few cast wit my own flies and everything will be off the hook..hahahh :lol:
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

You can get basic c-clamp vices for under $10 and a good pair of scissors for $15-20. A good bobbin will cost $20 and the rest will be in materials. If you're going to buy a bunch of stuff at once, you might want to check out Thorne's Manufacturing. They have some good prices on a bunch of materials. You can stock up on a few basics all at once.

I've ordered from them in the past and I can help you out putting together an order. Free shipping over $50.

I just looked and they have a vice for $12 (Vise AA Chrome). The only other thing you might need is a hair stacker. For now you could omit the whip finisher, bodkin, and hackle pliers to save on cost.

My 2 cents.
Rich
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

thanks wongrs

good info.
will see will be the fly i will be making first.

no dry i got to mutch already kind off.

but the one you send me are neat..if i can just get nice weater to go get them to get me a few crappies. 8)

i got a few patern i found in my old cpies off fly tyer magasine here. few frogs in foam ..just simple stuff and fun to do.

joco
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

joco, joco, joco...................

You sold all your fly tying stuff............and now you're starting to tie again :shock:

Take you lumps from the wife. Check out ebay for some simple vices :oops:

Freehand tying might be OK if god gave us three arms, one with a lobster-like pincer instead of a hand......

ebay is a good option for bits and pieces you may require for your projects. I have one on the go I'm going to require a few small pieces of dyed deer belly hair.

I guess you should start to look at fresh road kill in a new manor. Free fur and feathers for tying.

Have your friends with cats save the hair and fuzz from brushing the cats....it's great dubbing material.

Good luck,
DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

DropShot'r

about cat i got a cat here it would gave like POUNS IFF DUBING A MONTH...HAHAHA FUR ALL OVER THE HOUSE. :x :lol: .

I WILL GET SOME TOOLS..JUST WONT GET OVERBOARD WIT IT..LIKE BEFoRE..I HAD BOX AND BOX FULL OFF STUFF AND A FULL TOOL BOX OFF FLY TYING TOOLS. :cry: ..BUT ITS OK GONE IS GONE.LETS TURN THE PAGE ON THOSE. 8)

i am just back.frome dolarama..... :lol: full bag off foams and some other stuff good for popers. :wink: .

pict soon.

off those flies.

joco.............................I think i will go see float paddle and flies for a bit off tools. :lol: