going to malone

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

going to malone

Post by Paya »

I have been thinking about going there for a few years now but for whatever reasons my plans kept failing.
Well thing are looking better this year and I'll be heading down sometimes this spring . I have heard different stories about fishing down there and was wondering if anyone is willing to share some experience . I'm not looking for you favorite spots , just general discussion about flies to use and anything to be aware going down there.
cheers,
/p
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

Most of my fish have been caught using nymphs. I usually tie on a large stonefly for weight and as an attractor (sz 8-10) with a smaller nymph (sz 14-16). My favourite smaller nymph last year was the RS2 in a natural colour.

I was told that the fish ignore dries most of the time but last year I had a few days catching a number on dries. I was using a hopper juan (sz 6) with a smaller dry like a caddis or parachute adams (sz 14). I'll be fishing more dries and hopper-droppers this year.

I've only ever caught 2-3 fish on streamers. Small sz 8 olive woolly bugger. Almost a woolly worm.

Good luck dude.
Rich
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I've found that swinging a small Reversed Spider through the runs/riffles can be productive. If you want to throw dries through the fast water, I would recommend an attractor pattern such as a Royal Coachman, etc. It's been my experience that when indicator nymphing the runs/riffles, the trout will often go for your indicator.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
P-O
Participant
Participant

Post by P-O »

I've been there twice this year, the fishing is good but though... It's still early, the water is high and very cold.

The best flies so far :
-Cased caddis nymph sz10
-Green weenie Nymph sz10
-Flashback copper john Sz20
-Big deerhair Sculpins

Just turn the rocks over and see what's under them.

One tip, on the smaller rivers in the area, watch for barb wired fences... Waders don't like thoses, well at least mine and my shins didn't like it :lol:

Here's the link to the PFR for the streams in the area :
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32610.html

And a good guide with a few tips for the whole adirondack area :
http://visitadirondacks.com/pdf/ARFishGuide08.pdf

P-O
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi P.O

long time no see. 8)
sorry paya. :oops:.

PAYA....sorry i got nothing to ofer for over there.....good luck in your search and bring us a report if you want..would be cool to see.
Last edited by joco on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
P-O
Participant
Participant

Post by P-O »

Hey,

Well I read the forum, but if I don't have any usefull info to provide, I just don't post... I like helping people, but don't like the atmosphere around theses forums. :?

P-O
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

I might be going there sometimes next month , reading all reports from area thing seems to be getting better every week.
When it comes to flies I was thinking streamers and nymphs myself , assuming there is a good stone fly hatch as well.
PO I know about links but thanks anyway these links are very useful , good tip on wired fences ..I'll remember that :lol:
I'm getting tired of QC streams just because I know what expect there every time I go and really looking for a new place to be back one or twice a year.
Evan
Participant
Participant

Post by Evan »

Was at Pulaski NY today. Water is low according to locals. But there's aparently(according to locals as well) a couple thousand steelhead released into the river a couple days ago from the hatchery, there up high, and gradually will work down the river and out to the lake. Stop at Whittakers fly shop for river info, they seemed helpful to me, though no luck.
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

Firstly , I would like to thank you folks on your help before my trip down.
I did spent most of the day fishing Salmon , mostly and fishing was great in terms of numbers. Highlight was 2lb beauty brown my buddy have landed.
here is few photos

troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Sounds like you had a good trip paya.....nice looking Brown!!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

yep sher look likea nice trip for you and friends.

keep those good report coming.

joco
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I know where that is :wink:

Glad you had a good time. All this trout and salmon talk has me considering a salmon trip for roe and a trout trip or two to the Salmon River this fall.

Thanks for the report and pics.

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman