Question about larvae?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Question about larvae?

Post by Akira »

Hey fly fishers...

Still learning lots about fly fishing and all...

I need some help to try to identify what kind of larvae/fly pattern would match the image below... Can anyone recognize it, and if so what is it? How do you fish this kind of pattern? sinking line?

Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Hey Akira.

A hare's ear nymph or baetis nymph will pretty much match what you've pictured. I'm not sure how big the bugs are in the picture, but you should have a variety of sizes from #12 down to #18 to cover most situations.

Sinking line isn't necessary to fish these patterns and you can use foating line without worrying. Sink tip line might make a difference in deeper, fast moving water. As well, bead head versions can help get the fly down to the fish.

Nymph fishing can be a bit challenging because it requires your full attention to feel the fish take the fly - lots of missed hits until you get the feel for it. You might want to try fishing the fly under a float/strike indicator to give you a visual cue to set the hook.

I don't know if you've been out with the OFS' summer fishing program, but Todd B and the gang can help you out with a few pointers.

Let us know how you make out nymphing.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Akira »

Fishboy wrote:Hey Akira.

A hare's ear nymph or baetis nymph will pretty much match what you've pictured. I'm not sure how big the bugs are in the picture, but you should have a variety of sizes from #12 down to #18 to cover most situations.

Sinking line isn't necessary to fish these patterns and you can use foating line without worrying. Sink tip line might make a difference in deeper, fast moving water. As well, bead head versions can help get the fly down to the fish.

Nymph fishing can be a bit challenging because it requires your full attention to feel the fish take the fly - lots of missed hits until you get the feel for it. You might want to try fishing the fly under a float/strike indicator to give you a visual cue to set the hook.

I don't know if you've been out with the OFS' summer fishing program, but Todd B and the gang can help you out with a few pointers.

Let us know how you make out nymphing.
Thanks for the tips Brian! I really like the baetis pattern... I'm going to have to try it out... Is nymphing good throughout the spring or is there certain times to nymph and then switch to something else? I am wondering if I should be focussing on certain types of flies in the seasons...

How's Japan?
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Glad to help.

Nymphing is effective throughout the fishing season, in rivers and in lakes. They are fished below the surface and since 90% of a trout's diet is below the surface, it makes sense to give them what they want.

As for the kinds of flies you need, here's what I do:

I always carry 3 different kinds of flies - one box of nymphs, one of streamers, and one of dries. The nymphs range in sizes from #8 (big stoneflies) down to #18. My streamers (leeches, minnows, mice) range in sizes #6 down to #14. My dries are #8 (big green drakes) down to #20 midges. With these patterns and sizes you can pretty much cover the kinds of things the fish are eating on any given day.

Japan is going well, but the fishing has been disappointing. The good thing is that I have discovered carp on the fly - way cool!

The downside is that trout fishing really only exists in remote areas in the mountains. As well, you pay licensing fees for each section of a river you fish because each section is managed by a different group. I've only managed two outings for real trout fishing, one in my wife's prefecture of Akita and the other in Maranuma, just about 30 minutes from Nikko. There are pay to fish places, but they are usually crowded as hell so I am avoiding them.

You are so lucky to live in the Ottawa Valley!!!!!!
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Akira »

I really need to start learning to tie my own flies.. :oops:

Brian, the fishing may be disappointing but I bet you are enjoying the food over there ;) Are you ever coming back to Canada, or are you pretty much settling in over there?
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

Hey Akira,

Check out this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UjlT7fqJ1s

Likely a hexagenia or drake depending on size. The species doesn't matter as long as you can match size shape and colour. Definitely a burrower nymph.
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Akira »

Thanks Wongrs! That is a pretty cool clip...
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

oliver edwards ties a fly that looks really close to the real thing. it's in one of his videos and i don't think it's on youtube unfortunately bit it might be. if you're on skype, i can send you the clip if you like. pm me your skype address if interested.