Looking for a good not too expensive reel for my 2wt

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Looking for a good not too expensive reel for my 2wt

Post by Akira »

Can anyone recommend a good not too expensive ultralight reel for my 2wt rod? I've been using my Orvis Clearwater III that came with my Orvis fly fishing starter kit for a couple years now, but I'm not sure if it is the right match for the 2wt rod..
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

With a 2wt the reel is little more than a line holder, so you're right to include the word inexpensive. It's unlikely you'll need the drag in order to play a fish. This also means much less backing is required which makes the rod-reel set-up even lighter.

Most manufacturers have reels that will match your rod and give it better balance. I'd recommend hitting the shops and holding a few models set up on rods like yours to get a better feel for which reel is right for you.

Check out Joco's post on ultralight fly fishing. There's a link to an ultralight dedicated site and it should have the info you need.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I have an Okuma SLV 2/3 for my 3 wt. Nice little reel. The line takes up the whole spool and there is only about 10ft of backing. I got the reel at SportAction.