anyone do or have try tenkara fishing here.?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

anyone do or have try tenkara fishing here.?

Post by joco »

i hser like the simplicity.
been down for centurys but its now back..

its great for small stream.and even med ones to.
i will try it..i dont think i will get the true rod..not there yet.but will make my own.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/tenkaragear.php

but wen you think about it..for little stream..dont need real anyway.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i got a chakspear wonderp pole 13 footer. same ideal..but will have to make my line or order soke frome that site..but i was thinking using 1w or 2 weight old fly line and mono.etc.

and will chek out for some...other project i got in mind for this.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Japan

The traditional Japanese method of fly-fishing is known as "Tenkara" (Japanese: テンカラ, literally: "from heaven"). The first reference to tenkara fly-fishing was in 1878 in a book called "Diary of climbing Mt. Tateyama".[2].

Tenkara is the only fly-fishing method in Japan that is defined by using a fly and casting technique where the line is what is actually being cast. Tenkara originated in the mountains of Japan as a way for professional fishermen and inn-keepers to harvest the local fish, Ayu, Yamame, Iwana for selling and providing a meal to their guests. Primarily a small-stream fishing method that was preferred for being highly efficient, where the long rod allowed the fisherman to place the fly where the fish would be.

Another style of fishing in Japan is Ayu fishing. As written by historian Andrew Herd, in the book "The Fly", "Fly fishing became popular with Japanese peasants from the twelfth century onward...fishing was promoted to a pastime worthy of Bushi (warriors), as part of an official policy to train the Bushi's mind during peacetime."[3] This refers primarily to Ayu fishing, which commonly uses a fly as lure, uses longer rods, but there is no casting technique required, it's more similar to dapping. Ayu was practiced in the lowlands (foothills), where the Bushi resided, tenkara practiced in the mountains. Fishing flies are thought to have first originated in Japan for Ayu fishing over 430 years ago[4]. These flies were made with needles that were bent into shape and used as fishing hooks, then dressed as a fly. The rods along with fishing flies, are considered to be a traditional local craft of the Kaga region.[5]

In the West, fly-fishing rods were primarily made of wood, which is heavy, so having long rods to reach spots where fish may be was tricky. Anglers started devising running line systems, where they could use shorter rods and longer lines. Eventually this led to the development of reels and the widespread use of shorter rods and reels. In Japan, bamboo, a very light material, was readily available, so anglers could make very long rods without much concern for weight. Fly-fishing remained more pure, as it was in its origins, anglers in Japan could continue using the long rods and did not feel the need to invent running line systems and reels.[6]

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i am sher i did pick a bit off curiousity in some off you wit this.

some get some rods. 8) :wink: .

i will try to find a way to build some.

this is just a simple blank off a telescopic rods..just find a source off blank..to make a telescopic rod and there you go..you will be close to it..but you have to look for specs and all.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

that tenkara thing is mabe a good product but its sher is a big marketing deal to. :lol:

wen you look at the price off other telescopic rods here

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN ... g_Rod.html

and thise are all well done not just a blank. :lol:

so a source off blank would do the job to make your own tenkara rod.

BUT....i am looking into mabe get the true thing to. will see. 8)

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

a bit off history now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9a4HsRl ... re=related

ques tion for''''Fishboy'''' any tenkara rod shop down in japan.? you see some on those creeks over there.?

again its an effecive way to fish and simple.

ok it still marketing thing and the guy is good at it...all is video are well done.

one prob you have wit that tecknic if you get hook on a bigger fish and deside its going down current or hesle..and you dont have mutch time to move or spce that fish is gone...that is wen that rell is good to have.

but i like the simplicity and the size off those combo.

but you can get that size if you take a 4 or 5 pice fly rod..don take mutch space to.

or a float rod.would do the job to.

or like i said before just find a telescopic rod blank..there you go...you got one.

i do think there a bit expensive for what you get.

would be nice to have some cokment on this frome pro fly fishermans etc.

joco
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Joco,

I see people doing tenkara on the Tama River near my home. The poles are made of bamboo and they are incredibly strong and flexible. Tenkara doesn't require a reel and the flies are tied directly onto sections of leader material. Most tenkara flies are small, #14 hooks and smaller, and they are generally drifted wet through the seams much like Czech nymphing.

The people I see are usually fishing for smaller fish like ayu (kind of a cross between a smelt and a trout). The carp people use sturdier rods with reels.

It's interesting and I may try it this year if I get the opportunity.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »