to fly fishermans...why you fly fish.?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

to fly fishermans...why you fly fish.?

Post by joco »

simple question.

why you got into this way to fish.?

joco.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I'd been fishing since childhood and in my late 30's I noticed fly fishing. It looked interesting, so I decided to try it. That was 15 years ago. It is truly way more interesting, more challenging, and more fun that any other style of fishing I've tried. 8)
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Ditto to Fishboy's comments
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Fly Willy
Participant
Participant

Post by Fly Willy »

I was born in Nova Scotia and Dad fished salmon and sea trout every day in season, every tide. We learned to cast a fly rod at around 8 years old and it is just hard to get away from the fact that you just feel closer to the water when fly fishing, trying to match the hatch or chuck and duck....

Pike on a top water fly is pretty cool too.
uberfish
Participant
Participant

Post by uberfish »

I was a hardware chucker for years when I met Jack Imhof and started creel surveying on the Credit River. I saw a lot of fish caught on flies and a lot of fun being had and had to try it. One is never enough and here I am, a happy fly fisher and gear head. The boy has started tying flies too but he fishes them with spinning gear, maybe I should get him to try that tenkara stuff.
wongrs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by wongrs »

the entomology is cool and i like catching fish on flies that i've tied. kind of like a puzzle for me. what are the fish eating? how do i tie a fly to represent it? how do i fish the fly like the natural? where do i fish the fly? many parts of the puzzle to figure out.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

For the GIRLS

Dolly.Brook :lol: :lol: :lol:
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
The Nipigon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by The Nipigon »

Because I can hook and land these...

Then fry them up for supper...

Nothing beats an eary morning or evening on calm water in a canoe with a fly rod...fish is just a bonus...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, fishing rod in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!."
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

thanks guy for your response.

me ...i found it relaxing and more sporty kind off..a bit more chalenge..and just plain fun.

its interresthing to try to match what they are eating.

i jjst think there more into it wen you are flyfishing...you have to be more involve in the practice etc.

joco. :)
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bondo »

You know what Joco, some people have to go to church to find religion. The water is my church. Simplist way I can put it. I will never give up sportfishing because I love it to much but, when I am rushing to get the boat loaded, rushing to get out of the house, rushing to get launched, rushing to get to a spot to rush through a half dozen rods with a half dozen different kinds of lures/bait tied on to a half dozen different styles of reels/rods...It sometimes stops being relaxing and that is why I got back into fishing about 10 years ago to begin with, to reclaim what I was missing from my youth.

So, about 5 years ago I saw "the movie". Ya ya ya I know, you die hards hate hearing that but, It got me interested in fly fishing and now, I love it. There is something about standing in a stream at the base of a mountain and turning a fly over. Heck, I have only ever caught a handful of trout locally (not including B.C. trips). Its about being out there and what I have found is, It is very, very relaxing. End of story.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

BONDO a lot off people got into fly fishing becasue off that movie a lot..and a lot off fly fishing buiseness store and guides made $$$ wit this to.

there is one more movies coming that i cant wait to see myself.

http://www.theriverwhy.com/

anyway i do like your response. :wink:

and do like THEE movie. 8)

joco
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bondo »

Looks like a flic that I would definately enjoy.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

I started off fishing when I was young on outings with the family (summer vacation). when I got older and could afford my own, I diversified my fishing gear and that included fly fishing. Guess I saw maybe a good movie, documentary or the possibilities that it offered for stream, river fishing.

First experiences made me regret I ever bought the gear, until I got to control my line (less branches and trees around). Eventually got good at it.

Left it aside for many years (moved around for work) and lack of time to fish.

Just got my old gear back out, and hope to give it a good check (line, etc.), and try float tubing with it. Sure hope to get that old feeling back into me.

Hey you only live once.

8)