first flies

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
wheresdad
Participant
Participant

first flies

Post by wheresdad »

Well, I've got my first fly rod (8.5', 6 wt.) and have been practicing casting sans fly since turkey season is now over (no luck). I was hoping to pick up half dozen flies max to start fishing with soon.

I'd probably target panfish around Dow's lake where I fish with my kids and whatever I can fish for in Ottawa River rapids (brown trout, bass (when season starts), ???). I know my outfit may be overkill for panfish but I don't care.

Can anyone recommend a first half dozen flys to start with, and what size?

I was thinking of stopping in at Green Drake or CT.

Also, I have an unused gift certificate from LLBean. could anyone recommend any of their selection packs?
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/500155?p ... hing-flies

Cheers,
Ray
Colin_M
Participant
Participant

Post by Colin_M »

WheresDad,

I would recommend dropping by Float, Paddle and Fly for advice - they have given me super service and plenty of free advice.

Cheers,
Colin
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

For panfish and smallies in the Ottawa and Rideau rivers,

1 - black size 8 bead head woolly bugger
1 - olive size 8 bead head woolly bugger
1 - olive size 6 bead head woolly bugger
1 - size 6 clouser minnow
2 - size 8 foam spider or hopper

The pannies will be all over the spider or hopper. I think you will be surprised at how much of a tussle a big bluegill with give you on the 6wt.

For the LLBean certificate, this one would be good around here.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40986?pa ... at4=500155

HTH,
Doug
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: first flies

Post by Todd B. »

wheresdad wrote:Well, I've got my first fly rod (8.5', 6 wt.) and have been practicing casting sans fly since turkey season is now over (no luck). I was hoping to pick up half dozen flies max to start fishing with soon.

I'd probably target panfish around Dow's lake where I fish with my kids and whatever I can fish for in Ottawa River rapids (brown trout, bass (when season starts), ???). I know my outfit may be overkill for panfish but I don't care.

Can anyone recommend a first half dozen flys to start with, and what size?

I was thinking of stopping in at Green Drake or CT.

Also, I have an unused gift certificate from LLBean. could anyone recommend any of their selection packs?
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/500155?p ... hing-flies

Cheers,
Ray
Ray,

The selection/qualtiy at CT typically leaves a lot to be desired. You'd be better off going to LeBaron, Green Drake, Float Paddle & Fly or Sport Action for your flies.

What I would consider to be 3 essential patterns for the Ottawa area are:
- Beadhead Woolly Bugger (Olive, #6, #8)
- Panfish Popper (Black or Frog, #10)
- Stimulator (#6, #10, #14)

Looking at the LLBean site, the Essential Stream Selection would be my first choice if I we picking from their variety packs.

Cheers,
Todd
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
wheresdad
Participant
Participant

Post by wheresdad »

Thanks everyone for the advice - both on flies and stores.
I've shopped at all of them for other fishing tackle and hunting supplies, save for Float, Paddle, Fly. I'll probably start close to home and stop in at GD for my first few and report back how things go on my first outing (can't wait, but short on time so have to be patient...sigh).

Cheers
Ray