First fly rod & reel

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

First fly rod & reel

Post by tallpaul »

Hi all...

I figured I had enough pike/bass rods/reels so I picked up my first fly-fishing set-up for a couple of upcoming trips. A couple of questions for the experts... :)

The reel I got is the Fenwick - DCCv2-78. I got a 7/8 rod with it and some 7/8 line. I'll use it for both bass and trout for now.

1- How much backing (and what lb test) should I put? I have some 20 and 17lb mono... which is plenty strong/thick, but am I better to put some 8lb ?
2- How much "fly line" do I spool on? The entire roll I bought?
3- What knots do most people use to tie backing to fly line and then fly line to the leader?
4- Says my reel is "Smooth uni–directional disc drag system and left or right–hand retrieve option". I don't have a manual with my reel (only a parts diagram). So, is it a matter of just flipping the reel around and spooling it differently (so the drag is engaged when pulling line out?

Now... once all that is sorted, I've just got to go and get some flies. I can't wait to fly fish for smallies!! :D :D
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: First fly rod & reel

Post by Todd B. »

tallpaul wrote:Hi all...

I figured I had enough pike/bass rods/reels so I picked up my first fly-fishing set-up for a couple of upcoming trips. A couple of questions for the experts... :)

The reel I got is the Fenwick - DCCv2-78. I got a 7/8 rod with it and some 7/8 line. I'll use it for both bass and trout for now.

1- How much backing (and what lb test) should I put? I have some 20 and 17lb mono... which is plenty strong/thick, but am I better to put some 8lb ?
2- How much "fly line" do I spool on? The entire roll I bought?
3- What knots do most people use to tie backing to fly line and then fly line to the leader?
4- Says my reel is "Smooth uni–directional disc drag system and left or right–hand retrieve option". I don't have a manual with my reel (only a parts diagram). So, is it a matter of just flipping the reel around and spooling it differently (so the drag is engaged when pulling line out?

Now... once all that is sorted, I've just got to go and get some flies. I can't wait to fly fish for smallies!! :D :D
Paul,

With the 7/8 rod/reel you're geared up for LM and steelhead.

Here's a link on getting geared up.
http://www.flymartonline.com/article215.html

You'll probably want to put 30lb backing on your reel. Typically you put enough backing so that when you spool your fly line it fills your spool to near capacity. The amount of backing will depend on whether you're using dacron line or gelspun. Do not use mono. At a minimum you'd be looking at 100 yards of backing.

You connect your fly line to your backing using an Albright knot.

You're going to put all of your fly line onto your reel. The line should likely have a label indicating the "backing" end of the fly line. This will be the free end of the fly line from the spool it comes on.

For you line to leader connetion, the simplest solution is to purchase a "Braided Loop Connector", which you attach to the end of your fly line. Most new lines will come with a "welded" loop already formed in the line. You can also tie on a piece of heavy (~20lb) using a nail knot, then add a perfection loop in the end if you prefer this loop connection instead. Some anglers prefer to permanently tie their leader onto their fly line with a nail knot as well. My personal preference is a loop connector in some form or another.

For your reel, tighten the drag down a bit to determine which "hand" it is currently set up for (i.e. engaged when line is pulled out). If it's not set up for your retrieval hand, it's probably just a matter of flipping the drag gear over.

For flies, be sure to have some Olive beadhead woolly buggers in your fly box (#6, #8). The smallies love'm!
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

Thanks Todd... incredibly helpful as usual! :)

Also as usual... I might end up having some follow-up questions! :oops: I think first thing is to go back to the store and see if I can get my hands on the manual for the reel! Like I said, all it came with was a box and the parts diagram.

I'll have a look at the rest and get back to you if I need to follow-up! :)

Thanks for the fly suggestion/tip! 8)

I probably went overboard with the weight I guess... :?
JVE
Participant
Participant

Post by JVE »

According to Fenwick, this reel can hold 100 yards of 20 lb nylon backing - http://www.fenwickfishing.com/prod.php? ... 1078951%29. It's to bad that they don't have a support link to download manuals.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hey tall paul let me no if you want to try fly for bass tomorow loal lake here 6pm to dark.?

joco.and great to see you gone on the dark side. 8) yep todd b sher no is fly fishing...alwasy great info.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

JVE - I had a closer look at the box and it says capacity is 100yds (WF 7-8 flyline & 20# backing. I have 25M of flyline, so about 27yds. I'll need to put on about 70yds of backing?

joco - I have to figure out (and buy) some proper backing (I was going to use mono!). Also, I have to get some flies... and I have to practice!! :oops: I do hope to get out there soon (this weekend!) though...

Still no indication of how to flip the reel. It seems set for right hand retrieve. Box says:
Smooth uni-directional disc drag system.
Reel design easily converts to left or right hand retrieve.

Obviously I can flip the reel around, but then the drag doesn't work the proper way if I spool the line to come off the bottom....

cheers,
tallpaul
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

If you went to Float Paddle and Fly to pick up some flies, they will spool the reel and I suspect they will be able to figure out how to switch the reel over to the other hand.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Paul,

As JVE indicated the spec on your reel is 100 yards of 20lb backing + your line. As beachburger suggested it might be easier for you to bring it in to FP&F and let them spool it for you. As for the drag, it looks somewhat similar to my clearwater reel. There should be a gear on the inside, directly opposite to where the drag knob is. It should be a simple as turning it over to switch which direction the drag engages on.

Cheers,
Todd
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

beachburger wrote:... to Float Paddle and Fly to pick up some flies...
It's on my weekend (Saturday) to-do list!! :)

Thanks guys & stay tuned!
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

Bring it by the shop. We'll be more than happy to help you.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

gwright wrote:Bring it by the shop. We'll be more than happy to help you.
These guys know their stuff!!!......do yourself a favour and drop into their store....you won't regret it :wink:
Evan
Participant
Participant

Post by Evan »

If your doing it yourself, put the fly line on the reel first (leader end first, then your backing until the spool is full. and yes this is a bit more time consuming but its the most accurate way to fill your spool. Then remove all the line without tangling the line and re- spool it in the correct order. I've always done my line up this way as there is no guess work as to how much line is too much or too less. Takes a bit longer, but time well spent. Oh, yeah, 20 lb test backing is all you need as fly line is only 20lb test.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

thanks for the replies everyone. I was in FP&F on Saturday and got my reel all ready to go! 8) I've got a bunch of flies and a few leaders... Ready to go!
Big thanks to gwright and the other guy at the store... !

Cheers,
tallpaul

Two trips coming up... this weekend - La Verendrye Park... August - remote cabin north of... Forestville, Qc!! :shock: :shock: 8)
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

way to go.

you work tomorow.? 8)

joco.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

Sadly, yes! :(