Quebec brookies - HELP

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Quebec brookies - HELP

Post by fenderbender »

I just started fishing the Quebec side this season. I've joined an angler's association and tried a couple of the small stalked lakes in the south western area of the Outaouais region several times now. I managed to land a couple of small brookies and one small splake on spinning gear, but nothing on flies. The association claims that the lakes I was fishing have a good number of large fish in them, but I'm beginning to wonder . . .

I've also taken up fly fishing this year after a few decades of strictly spinning. I've stocked up on the standard flies that I used to use, but I haven't managed to hook up a trout on a fly yet. I've never fished stillwater brookies before. I'm not sure, but maybe my fly collection might be more suited to creek fishing than to stillwater. I'm also a bit rusty, but you'd think after a hundred or so hours I would have at least hooked into at least one! lol

Here's what I have in my fly box so far. These used to be standard, general purpose flies.

Dry: (12, 14, 16) Adams

Nymphs: (12, 14, 16) Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail

Streamers: (8, 10, 12) Muddlers.

Wet: (8, 12) Wooly Buggers in black and olive, (12, 14, 16) Partridge Soft Hackle, (12, 14, 16) Scuds in gray and orange

Midges: (16, 18, 20) Griffith's Gnat

Terrestrials: Black Ant, Grasshopper, Crayfish

Would you guys be able to recommend some other standard go-to flies for stillwater fishing in the area I'm targeting? I'm getting pretty frustrated!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I could maybe pick up a mentor for a trip or two I would be forever in your debt!
just an ol' fishin' musician
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

What sort of setup are you fishing with? Are the lakes deep? Is your fly getting deep enough?

I'm not sure what the forage is in the lakes you are fishing but if there are minnows, I would look into adding some #8 minnow imitating streamers like a Hamill's Killer or a Black Nosed Dace.

I'm wouldn't consider myself a mentor but I have caught a few trouts and I'm not far from Pembroke. We can probably arrange to get together to B.S. about fly fishing.

HTH,
Doug
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

fenderbender,

Without actually fishing your lake it would be hard to diagnose the situation for your lake. In terms of your flies, just keep in simple. What you want to do is match the size, shape, colour and behaviour of whatever the brookies are targeting.

If you notice rises, try to find out what if any insects are emerging. If you don't see any coming off the water, the could be taking emergers just under the surface or they could also be hitting baitfish just below the surface.

A fish finder is also useful for identifying structure as well as where the fish seem to be located. This typically gives you some ideas as to the presentation you want to use (i.e. full sinking line, intermediate sink, floating line, etc.) If you do not currently have sinking fly lines, they are something to consider if you are serious about stillwater fly fishing. An inexpensive (quick fix) is to use the Orvis Instant Sink Tip System. While this is now where near as good as true sinking line, it will work.

For flies I would probably add a few prospecting dry flies (Humpy, Turk's Turantula) rather than specific "fly" patterns. As beachburger suggested, some additional baitfish/leach patterns are also a good bet. Brown's and olive are good colours to have as well.

Personally the first fly I would use to prospect around the bottom would be a woolly bugger (in a colour that matched the colour of the resident leeches).
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Your fly selection should be OK - Beachburger's additions are great, too.

I think that you might have more success using a sink-tip or full-sink line. Unless you see rises, the fish are likely down deeper where the water is cooler. Sink-tip and full-sink lines will get the flies down to where the fish may be. There are many types of these lines, so you might want to discuss your stiuation with a fly shop. They can recommend a line that will best suit your needs.

Also, you might try fishing longer leaders. Instead of using 9 foot leaders, try using 12 foot ones - this can make a big difference when the fish tend to be line shy. Flourocarbon tippet material works very well in these "wet" applications.

As well, if the regulations permit, try using 2 flies on one line. Typically, you tie a smaller fly closest to the leader and a 2nd, larger fly trailing about 18" from the first fly. It's kind of like showing a small fish going after something edible and piques the brookie's interest. Sometimes I tie a streamer closest to the flyline and a weighted nymph at the terminal end - this works well, too. I've been fishing stillwaters with tandem fly set-ups for several years and it has definitely increased my success rate.

Keep at it and give us some reports.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Post by fenderbender »

Sorry guys, should have a little clearer about the water I'm fishing. The brookie lakes are down to about 30', splake/laker lakes are 50 and over.

Off to LeBarons on Sat to pick up some sinking tip (at least) line and another spool. Coupla dace imitators and away I go! The "temporary sinking tip" thing looks worth a try or for backup.

Excellent info guys. Soon as I land one no matter how small I'll do trip report!
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

If you are fishing 30' +, you are better off getting a "density compensated" full sink line instead of a sink tip. The full sink will fall in a straight line where as a sink tip will have a big bow in the line and it makes for missed hooksets when going deep.

I use a Scientific Anglers Type 5 full sink and it falls about 6 inches per second.

HTH,
Doug
JVE
Participant
Participant

Post by JVE »

Totally agree with beachburger. You can get away with type II or type III sinking lines, but, the sink rate is slower - i.e. you can still get down 30', it will just take longer. Personally, I fish with both type II and III, but, I normally fish around the 10' to 20' range so these lines work just fine for me. On a lake, it really helps to have a fish finder if anything just to find what depth the fish are at. When you get down to +20', it also really help to have a short leader - the standard 9' is just to long and you will get a bow and may miss hits. All you need for a leader is short piece of 20lb+ mono line for your loop knot to attach to your fly line and then use a Surgeon's knot to attach your tippet line to the mono.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Check out Scientific Angers Mastery Series full sink line. I've got class IV on my 4wt and my 6wt. It sinks quickly and stays deep even while trolling from a float tube.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Post by fenderbender »

Ended up getting some fast sink sinking tip before I read the last few posts. I didn't notice if it was II or III. Says it's supposed to go to 15' and I figured with the leader/tippet I should be able to at least get in the neighborhood. I've got a couple of ancient old white/olive feather streamers of some kind that might work too.

I drove to Lebaron's after work today and picked up a few things, but their line and fly selection was pretty dismal. Guess I'll have to place another order at flyshack or reelflies.

I've got an old fishfinder. I call it a "bottom finder" cause the resolution on the thing is so pitiful. But it does the trick anyway lol.

Hooked up with a guy who knows the area I'm fishing and we're going to try to set up an outing for the weekend. He says they're in there.

Tight lines guys and thanks so much for your help.