Not Many Pics Lately So Here's One

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Not Many Pics Lately So Here's One

Post by beachburger »

Not too many pics here lately so here's a chunky 15" smallie I caught on a yellow foam hopper last night as the sun was setting. I was using the 5wt because when I started out the evening it was too windy for the 3 wt.

About a dozen feisty bluegills were interested in the foam hopper as well. I am a big fan of bluegills on the flyrod. The big ones put up quite a tussle and when the sun starts to set, a poorly tied bushy dry fly such as an elk hair caddis or humpy will often bring a fish on every cast until dark.

The yellow foam hopper can be seen in the F-H fly swap section at,

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=27897
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

Nice catch! Bluegills would be fun for sure!

I'm still waiting for my first on the fly! It was a little too windy to attempt it this past weekend.

Also, some sweet looking flies from that link!

cheers,
tallpaul
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Doug,

I assume you're fishing off your back yard again? ;-)

Next time you're forced to come back to town you should hit Strathconna. We were into a mess of +2lb smallies last week (all on poppers, with the exception of JVE's tube fly).
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I assume you're fishing off your back yard again?
Not on this outing. I'm in Ottawa for a few days and this was at the usual tubing spot. The guy with the blue FishCat latched onto a smallie that was quite a bit bigger than this one shortly after I landed this one. I missed more than a few last night because I was being a feeb on the hooksets.

I heard about the Strathcona results. How is the "mung" out there? A few years back it became unfishable with all the algae floating about.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

beachburger wrote:I heard about the Strathcona results. How is the "mung" out there? A few years back it became unfishable with all the algae floating about.
The Rideau is still running about 5" higher than normal but no algae mats. There's the occasional aquatic grass, but other than that it's good to fish. Just avoid the downstream section close to the Rusian Embassy. The guys that were closest said it smelled like a sespool.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."