First outing to the "dark side"

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Wabler
Participant
Participant

First outing to the "dark side"

Post by Wabler »

To recap, I posted nearly a year ago seeking advice and guidance on gearing up for an atlantic salmon fishing trip on the Miramichi, scheduled to occur this coming fall. The "dark side" hawkers pointed me in the right direction with gear tips and where to shop, and for that, I am grateful.

Everything I purchased was based on advice from from that post. I did cheap out, and I hope that doesn't bite me in the butt. First, I picked up some waders from LL Bean for less than $100, Next, I ordered the Albright GPX 9wt rod and reel for less than $150. Then I paid a visit to Float Paddle and Fly, and, I gotta tell ya, the service was excellent. Even though, I brought in a reel purchased elsewhere they spooled it up with an intermediate sink pike line (so I can start practicing on local species), leader, and "toothy critter" tippet, and even threw in the backing for free. On top of all that, they gave me an incredible deal on a pair of Simms boots and a couple of flies. And, of course, the tips and chat was invaluable. Left there spending less than $200. So for less than $450, I'm geared up and ready to go. I'll just need to re-visit Float, Paddle and Fly to spool up the spare spool with a floating salmon line for the fall trip.

Having over $40,000 invested in the boat, walleye gear, and bass gear, it's been hard for me to deviate from being a "hardware angler" in order to give the fly-fishing the attention it deserves. So after occasional practice casting in the backyard, and lots of magazine and internet articles read, I finally took the time tonight to put all my new fly gear to the test.

I threw all the gear in the truck and ventured to an ol' fishin' hole on a local river that I haven't fished since I was a kid, well over 20 years. I pulled on the waders, laced up the boots, and assembled the rod. Hoping to catch a resident walleye at best, or practic casting at least. I removed the "toothy critter" leader and tied on a wooly bugger (thanks for all those walleye-on-the-fly posts, Todd B.). I know the 9wt is way too much rod for a small wooly bugger, but, hey, it's all I got. I cautiously waded out knee deep and started casting. Really not expecting to catch anything, I casted away, pleasantly surprised to learn that casting in the water was much easier than casting on the lawn.

After about an hour of casting and trying different techniques that I've read about (I am by no means the next Lefty Kreh), I was absolutely shocked to have the opportunity to shout "fish on"! It was just a small snot rocket, but it was my first fish on the fly! Normally not camera worthy but I was so exited to have this fish in my hand that I started to rush to the shore to grab my camera. I have now learned that wading and rushing don't mix. I fell hard to my knees in the rocks in my brand new waders and the snot rocket made his escape. A testament to the LL Bean waders, they held up to my tumble and still not a leak.

Oh well, no picture, so back to fishing. Fished another half hour and finally hooked up with the target species. Not a trophy by any means (unless I have really big feet), but all-in-all a pretty good first experience with a fly-rod.

Thanks again to all the hawkers who both knowingly and unwittingly pointed me in the right direction. Hopefully, I'll have something to post from the Miramichi.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

So when will we see a boat and walleye gear for sale in the classified section? :wink:

Congrats on your first fish on the fly! Actually catching something on the flyrod early in the game certainly makes fly fishing more attractive. With the 9-wt you ought to have a go at bass - amazing on the flyrod! Get a hold of some floating line and some poppers and have fun.

As for not breaking the bank on gear, I understand that fully. I did the same thing before spending my kids' inheritance. The salmon on the Mirimichi might not be so understanding, however, so you might want to check that the guiding service you use has gear rentals.

I recently read that there are very few fish some of the famous salmon rivers in eastern Canada. The speculation was that the hotter weather is raising water temps beyond the salmon's tolerance. That could mean more fish when salmon return from the ocean as the temps drop in the fall. Good luck with it!
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Wabler
Participant
Participant

Post by Wabler »

Thanks Fishboy,

I gotta tell ya, the yak, and fly gear looks sooooo tempting! No extra gas $$$$$, and having a vessel that's so easy and affordable to "tow", wether it's to a local backwoods lake with no launch, or to the east coast where my wife calls home! Really seems like I spent too much on all the "hardware", while fly-fishing keeps everything so simple and affordable.

I tried to convince my better half to make the trip to "Float, Paddle and Fly " today, but the hour commute turned her off. I'm completely reconsidering my "gas and hardware" approach to angling, but after already spending sooooo much, it's hard to turn back (with the "accountant" counting every dollar).

I just finished trying to explain how cheap fly reels actually start to smoke when a big salmon takes a big run, to justify a better reel. I guess I'll have to show the burns on my hand to prove it. That, in itself, will be a story worth telling.

Let's hope for the best this October!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

wabler,

Glad to hear that you've had some success. Welcome to the "Eye on the fly" club! ;-)

As I'm typically targeting eyes with my #4 or #5 wt rods I don't bother with a wire bite guard. I'm almost always fishing 3x tippet and I've never been bitten off by an eye. :-)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Colin_M
Participant
Participant

Fly Fishing

Post by Colin_M »

Wabler,

Its great to hear that you are all set up and getting some local practice. Nice fish. Also good to hear more good words about Float, Paddle and Fly - Greg and Paul are tops in my books.

Cheers,
Colin
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Good job Wabler :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

No need to get rid of the boat. They make an excellent casting platform. I keep the 8wt and a handful of my favorite foam flies in the rod locker most of the time because it just might turn out to be a good topwater day.

I fly fish and "hardware" fish about equal. Fly fishing gets most of the spring and fall time, the heavy artillery comes out when bass season opens.