Learning to Fly Fish in the Valley, Part II

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Mad_Dog
Participant
Participant

Learning to Fly Fish in the Valley, Part II

Post by Mad_Dog »

Part 2: Going Fishing and Trying to Cast

The morning after I bought my gear, I went to a little beach on the Madawaska, between Combermere and Palmer Rapids to try my stuff out on the water. My family often goes there, my wife sunbathes, my son plays in the water, and I catch sunfish and rock bass, usually with a worm and bobber. They are always hungry there, so I figured it would be a good place to start. I got everything attached, my line through the guides, and one of the bargain bin flies on the leader. I cast it out, and didn't do very well, but a very hungry and stupid perch liked the look of the fly and gobbled it up. One cast, one fish, not too bad. I figured it was a sign of good things to come.

I played around with casting, and trying to increase my distance. I discovered that within about 25 feet, I was pretty accurate, aiming at lily pads, as long as the cast was done properly. I had the fly come at my face, and whiz by my ear from behind more than once. I was happy I didn't hook myself, or knock the fly off the leader, something that I was expecting to happen. I switched to a different fly, a flourescent yellow one with a wooden head (I'm bad with the names of this stuff so bear with me). I moved to a different section of the beach, and after a few casts, as I was retrieving the fly, there was a little splash and it dissappeared. I was pretty excited, and start to bring the line in, but I didn't set the hook, and the fish spat it out. I continued casting over there, but I think my sloppy casting was just scaring all the fish away.

I left with quite a few questions, on technique and tactics, I'd appreciate any advice you guys could share.

Technique: After retrieving the fly, I have a pile of line at my feet in the water. What is the most efficient way to get it in the air so I can cast again, without splashing around, and looking like a fool? I've been casting about 20-25 feet max so far.

Tactics: Fishing for panfish, what is the best way to retrieve it so fish are actually interested? Say with both a floating, and a sinking fly. I don't really know anything about it, so if you guys have any tips on the basic stuff, that would be great.

I live in Wilno, so if there is anyone around who would like to go fishing with a rookie, I would love to meet some other fly fishers. I'm going to join the club in Eganville when it starts up in September, but that is a month away.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Awesome..... :lol:

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Technique" question but normally your retrieve ends when you have about 10' of fly line still out. With your free hand on the line, raise the rod tip from 9:00 to 2:00 and start your cast, using your free hand to feed line back up to the reel. The rod/cast will take care of getting the line out there. (That was probably a horrible description).

When fishing panfish, I use a dry fly 90% of the time. A size 10 or 12 elk hair caddis will catch pannies all day long. For a retrieve, I just "skitter" the fly on the surface by making several very, very short strips and then a pause. Repeat. Dry flies made from hair will get wet and sink so the next time you are at a flyshop, pick up a bottle of Gink or other floatant. They will help the fly shed water and keep it on the surface.

I'm in the Valley as well and I normally fly fish from a float tube or boat but don't mind wading as long as the water isn't too fast or requires shuffling about boulder after boulder after boulder. Most of my summer fly fishing outings are weekdays after (early) dinner. I can only fish near Wilno for one Saturday a year and that Saturday was last week. The buffet is way too good and way too tempting..... :lol: We can probably arrange an outing on the water. PM me and we'll see if our scheds can mesh.

Finally, it's a good idea to wear a hat and glasses especially when learning how to cast. And pinch the barb on the hook. That'll make it easier to extract from the fish, your head, your arm, your ear, your back .....
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Sounds like we have another addict! ;-)

Heres's a article on Fly fishing for Panfish that offers up a few other fly patterns to use. Personally I'm content to stick to small woolly buggers and small #10 panfish poppers. (Bonus is that big SM like the small poppers as well)

With respect to your casting situation with the line at your feet, you need to "false cast" a number of times to pick the slack line up off the water. Another option to keep the line out of your feet is to use a stripping basket to hold the line that you've stripped in. Here's a link to a youtube video that shows how to make your own stripping basket.

Cheers,
Todd
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Mad_Dog
Participant
Participant

Post by Mad_Dog »

Thanks for the response, and advice! I enjoyed the BassPro article, they have a lot of good ones there. I guess I'll have to work on false casting as well, the list only gets bigger... ;) I hope to get out again soon this week, we'll see how the muscle memory works then.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Mad_dog,

Rember to let the rod to the work...just like in golf. If you try and simply applying more "power" to your cast will only make it worse. Timing and technique are the keys.

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."