Teaching myself to cast @ Kenauk

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Teaching myself to cast @ Kenauk

Post by MTF »

I picked up a fly rod a couple seasons ago but have not had the chance to try it out yet. So when my wife asked me if I would be interested in going to Kenauk to fish for the day while her and my daughter go to Montebello I thought this would be a perfect time.

I figure that my chances to actually catch a trout my first time out would be pretty good there. I have been practicing in my back yard and can cast about 50ft now, still working on accuracy though :lol:

Can anyone give me a few tips to help me increase my odds? or maybe a good website? Also which of the lakes has better fishing, I hear that Green Lake is pretty good. I have never fished for rainbows, but I have for lakers and specs and I know this time of year is not the best for them....should I just go bass fishing?

I have a 7-8wt rod, with I think a floating line (like i said it was a few years ago) and I also have box of 30-40 different flies (which i don't know the names of) any fly recommendations/presentations would be greatly appreciated

I will bring my spinning gear just in case :lol:
Wishing I was fishing
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

marc,

Depending on the water temps the bows could be down in the 20-25' range. Since you're just getting into it I would suggest picking up a "sink tip" system rather than purchasing sinking line. With the "system" system you just add the 4' sections to the end of your floating line (via loop-to-loop connections) to convert in into a sinking tip. Not the best solution but at ~$15 it's cheaper than shelling out $70 for new line. Check Float Paddle & Fly or the Green Drake for the sink tip systems.

for a leader, just use 5' of 8lb mono, then add an 18" piece of 3x fluro tippet.

Four proven flie patterns (sizes #10, #12):
- yellow winged hamills killer / Canadian killer
- olive/black woolly bugger
- rusty bugger
- missionary

A portable fish finder is nice to have simply to locate various structure at the depths that the fish will most likely be holding at. Note that while the bows will associate with structure, they will also cruise throughout the lake at their preferred depth. If the water is cold, working the wood along the shore can also be productive
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I don't think Green (Lac Vert) is a day fish lake.

One lake I've fished that I know is a day fish lake is Moose Lake (L'Original). It's a spec lake that's spring fed and not all that deep and all the stuff Todd was saying will work well. You can expect to catch specs 12" - 16" long.

HTH,
Doug
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I believe that lac de la Montagne might be another "day fish" lake. Other than a few beats on the river, everything else is for overnight guests.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

I booked this morning for tomorrow (11th) and will be fishing Otter lake for rainbows

thanks for the replies guys, Todd I will look up the flies you mentioned

Cant wait to get my first fish on a fly and excited at the chance it might be a fish i have never caught before...I'll report how I make out

Is there anyway just by looking at my main line I can tell if its a floating or sinking line?
Wishing I was fishing
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

marcthefisherman wrote:Is there anyway just by looking at my main line I can tell if its a floating or sinking line?
just give it a cast without a leader. If it's a floating line the body of hte line will float, though the tip might sink a little, especially if your line is dirty. If it's a sinking line you'll know it! LOL
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Todd B. wrote:
marcthefisherman wrote:Is there anyway just by looking at my main line I can tell if its a floating or sinking line?
just give it a cast without a leader. If it's a floating line the body of hte line will float, though the tip might sink a little, especially if your line is dirty. If it's a sinking line you'll know it! LOL
sorry, i meant before I get to the lake
Wishing I was fishing
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Usually floating lines are yellow or green. Just put the first few yards of the line in a sink full of water. If you bought a fly rod kit, it's more than likely a floating line.