rod repair

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

rod repair

Post by Walker »

I snapped my fly-rod off at one of the guides last week-end and was wondering is there anywhere in Ottawa or area that repairs/rebuilds fly
rods? :( :( :(
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: rod repair

Post by Todd B. »

Walker wrote:I snapped my fly-rod off at one of the guides last week-end and was wondering is there anywhere in Ottawa or area that repairs/rebuilds fly
rods? :( :( :(
Mark,

I'm assuming the rod is not under warranty?

If you snapped the tip off, you might be able to get away with simply epoxying a new tip-top to whats left fo the tip section, though you'll probably notice a difference in its casting performance depending on far away from the tip the break was.

If the break is anywhere else you'd have to replace the entire rod blank section that was damaged. Since you cannot purchase individual sections of blank, you'd probably end up paying more than you would to simply replace the rod.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Colin_M
Participant
Participant

Fly Rod Repair

Post by Colin_M »

Mark,

Unless you replace the complete rod section, you will never get exactly the same action. However, if you are handy with epoxy, is is not difficult to repair. Here are a couple of links that will give you some ideas to work with:

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/rodrepair/

http://stevedobsonsfishermansblog.blogs ... p-top.html

As Todd mentioned, if it is near the tip you can get away with replacing the tip guide. I know that Float, Paddle and Fly has a variety of diameter tip guides.

If it is further down, a simple repair is to find another old or broken rod that is a larger diameter that the rod you broke. I've read that it is best to use a fiberglass rod to repair a graphite rod. You cut the fiberglass rod down so that it slides over the broken rod (first cut the broken end smooth) and then epoxy the two pieces together. Reportedly, although the "splice" adds stiffness, the fiberglass is usually more flexible than the graphite and compensates.

I have also read that if the rod is stiffer after the repair, it helps to use a heavier flyline to compensate (e.g., for a 6 wt rod try an 8 wt line).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Colin
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

I was able to fix the rod myself.I'm back to fishing again. :) :) :)
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark