Attention - Float Tube Users - An accident we can learn from

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
gwright
Participant
Participant

Attention - Float Tube Users - An accident we can learn from

Post by gwright »

We had a customer ( a very experienced tuber) suffer a sudden and complete bladder failure while traversing the middle of a lake. This individual was forced to swim ashore with water filled waders and boots while holding their rod. Not a good situation to say the least.

The cause of the failure was a leaky bottle of insect repellent. The repellent appeared to have burned a large hole in the Urethane tube and heavily damaged the surrounding area.

The owners manual, if anyone read it, contains a warning about insect repellent, but it does not give any indication of the catastrophic outcome.

The best recommendation is not to carry insect repellent on the tube. If you feel you must carry repellent, do not put it in the pockets over the bladder.

While the users boat had a single bladder, the loss of air was so fast that one side that the user was dumped into the water before the other side had collapsed. In other words, had it been a 2 bladder design, the outcome would have been the same.

In short Float tubes are safe. But a little caution goes a long way
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

For a second there I thought you meant the guy's bladder :-)

BM
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
PerchPredator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PerchPredator »

That's crazy :shock:

I'll keep that in mind. I always wear a lifejacket whenever float tubing, but I still don't think I'd want that happening to me.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

PerchPredator
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

PerchPredator wrote:That's crazy :shock:

... I always wear a lifejacket whenever float tubing, ....
Same here!

If you ever dropped some of that insect repellent on your car or truck, you'll understand how it eats away what it comes in contact with. Imagine rubber/poliester fabric.

Thank God, the guy made it to shore.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

I thought you were talking about the guys bladder as well ... I figured he was getting so many fish that he just could not go in to shore for a squirt ... er ... not that I've ever done anything like that ...
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

good heads up.

i actulay saw a report off onother dude that this happen..it was on a flat tube tread in the flaot tube forums..

this is sad.

could finish worst or even a few lost tackel or worst.

again good heads up.

joco