Fun while it lasted

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
gwright
Participant
Participant

Fun while it lasted

Post by gwright »

Took advantage of a day off work and did a little fishing on the Ganny.

This was my first Chinook.

When we arrived there were around 3-4 fish per pool. Around 3:30 we had to quit as the pools were so stacked with fish we couldn't fish it without foul hooking one.

If your thinking about heading down there, the section in town closes at the end of the month and you'll need something bigger than a 8 weight. One of the guys with us had a 8 weight single hand while he managed a number of hook-ups, he just couldn't move them. It took 25 minutes to land them with my 7wt switch. A 8/9 switch was the best rod for job. I'd highly recommend a light tippet. We were using 3x fluorocarbon. It's strong enough to land them and light enough to quickly break of foul hooked fish.
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

Nice one, I'd be out gunned with my 6wt. Did you see any Bows or Browns, guess its still a little early for them.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Nice fish Greg! Looks pretty close to 30lbs? The talk has been that lots of big fish were being caught this season.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Just curious.

When you refer to the Ganny, do you refer to the Ganaraska River? Just at the start, downtown Port Hope?
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

yes
JVE
Participant
Participant

Update

Post by JVE »

FYI, there are still lot's of salmon running the local streams in southern Ontario. Also noticed a number of steelhead coming up. Some of the smaller streams are very low and clear so I would wait for some rain before heading down.