Getting my reel and line ready for winter storage

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Mad_Dog
Participant
Participant

Getting my reel and line ready for winter storage

Post by Mad_Dog »

I was wondering how to look after my floating line for winter. I have a cartridge reel, is it ok to leave it on the cartridge, off the reel, for the winter? Is there a good way to clean it that doesn't involve the brand name cleaners? (I live far away from any good tackle shops.) Thanks!
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Hi;
I assume it is fly line.
Yes.
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Strip the line off the reel up to the backing into a sink with a little bit of dish soap and water. Let the line soak for a while. Dry the line off with a soft clean cloth and reel it back onto the spool.

If the spring, get rid of the line memory by stretching the line. Have someone hold the end of the line, walk the line out to the backing and then give a good pull on the line. Works wonders.

HTH,
Doug
Mad_Dog
Participant
Participant

Post by Mad_Dog »

beachburger wrote:Strip the line off the reel up to the backing into a sink with a little bit of dish soap and water. Let the line soak for a while. Dry the line off with a soft clean cloth and reel it back onto the spool.

If the spring, get rid of the line memory by stretching the line. Have someone hold the end of the line, walk the line out to the backing and then give a good pull on the line. Works wonders.

HTH,
Doug
Thanks!