Line lubes?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
SteelHeaderOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Line lubes?

Post by SteelHeaderOntario »

Trying my hand at Fly Fishing,but cant get used to line running thru the guides
To me its like running finger nails across a black board,remember that lol
Anyways i want to know if theres a way to lessen or lose this?
Thanks
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

With the exception of SA's Shark Skin fly line you should not have much if any noise while casting. If you're fishing in/around freezing temperatures you may also have ice buildup in your guides may be contributing to your noise problem. With ice there's not much you can do.

Here a few other tips that might help:
  • Check and clean your guides regularly
  • Check your line for cracks. If any are found it's probably time to replace your line. (Note: extreme heat, like that found in the trunk of your car will ruin your line in short order.)
  • Check your line regularly for dirt/grime. Clean and re-apply line dressing as required. (Note: Use a fly line dressing that is specific to the type of fly line, otherwise you will run the risk of ruining your line. i.e. floating line dressing for floating lines etc.)
  • If you're line is coiling when it is stripped from the spool, streching it out will help to elliminate the coiling. This is usually a two person job where you strip out a little more line than you typically cast and stretch it between the two of you. If you're alone you can always tie the end to an object and stretch it, or stretch it in overlapping 1m segments hand to hand.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."