Fly Fishing inquiry ?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fly Fishing inquiry ?

Post by Dore »

Want to get some advise on Fly Fishing. I've never done this kind of fishing but seems fun. I'm thinking of buying a starters set up not to pricy to at least see if I'm going to like it or not. Can someone guide me towards a nice rod reel ?

Thanks
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I'm thinking of buying a starters set up not to pricy to at least see if I'm going to like it or not.
If you like to fish, there's nothing not to like. :wink:

What's your definition of pricey? Okuma makes a decent starter combo but the local fly shops (Float Paddle & Fly and Green Drake) will get you setup with some good starter stuff.

If you are just going to fish around Ottawa for bass, pike, walleye, crappie, bluegills and stocked trout, a 4 piece, 6wt setup will serve you well. It's a stout enough rod that will bring in a good sized pike or bass but isn't too heavy to cast small poppers for pannies or dry flies for trout.

And it's important to remember that only the first $1000 spent on flyfishing is painful..... :shock: :D

Doug
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I agree with what BB wrote......especially the last line!

You should be able to get a starter kit for between $200-$300. I would also highly recommend taking a flyfishing course offered by either of the local fly shops. This can help you get over the initial learning curve much quicker.

Also, why not drop in on an Ottawa Flyfishers Association meeting? This is a great way to get to know some of the people who are active in the sport. Todd B. can give you details.

Good luck with your gear search and hopefully we'll see you on the "dark side".
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Fly Fishing inquiry ?

Post by Todd B. »

|Dore| wrote:Want to get some advise on Fly Fishing. I've never done this kind of fishing but seems fun. I'm thinking of buying a starters set up not to pricy to at least see if I'm going to like it or not. Can someone guide me towards a nice rod reel ?
Here are a couple threads that help you out:
http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... ht=starter

A couple points to keep in mind:
  • Don't purchase a rod that doesn't "feel" right. Regardless of its price, if a rod doesn't feel right, it will not be fun to cast. A reputable dealer will let you test cast the rods before you buy them.
  • Fly rods are like golf clubs, in that their use is limited to a specific range of fish/fly sizes, techniques, etc. Base the purchase of your first rod on what you will be fishing for most often.
  • Unless you're targeting fish that will strip into your backing in an instant, your reel will essentially be used as line holder. As such there is no need to over spend on your reel. Most of the entry level reels (TFO, Okuma, Redington, etc) are good quality for the money. Look for a reel that will at least hold up to those unforeseen drops, etc.
  • 99% of the time your first line will be a floating line. Don't skimp on cheap line. SA, RIO and Cortland are reputable brands that provide good "starter" lines in the $50 range.
  • Take advantage of the OFS Winter Casting Sessions to get a feel for casting and angler feedback on varoius rods before you rush out to purchase your outfit. Typically there are a couple of spare rods available for individuals that have yet to acquire their own setup.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Great thanks for the advise everyone. Very helpfull :lol: 8) :lol:
|Dore|
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

i was at sail on sunday,they have TFO combos spooled and ready to go for 99 bucks!
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

rodbreaker wrote:i was at sail on sunday,they have TFO combos spooled and ready to go for 99 bucks!
Where?
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

The new sail store at the Ottawa trainyards
http://www.sail.ca/en/our-stores/ottawa/
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »