OFS Winter Casting Sessions

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

OFS Winter Casting Sessions

Post by Todd B. »

The Ottawa Flyfishers Society's Winter Casting Sessions kick off this evening (Jan 11th @ 8pm) for anyone that is interested.

Additional details regarding the Winter Casting Sessions can be found on the OFS website.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

I was out to this event tonight and had an excellent evening, I also met some very knowledgable fly anglers who care very much about their sport.
First off I have to say, as a beginner, that I was very impressed with how they had an instruction session for the first timers, and how well explained and then demonstrated it was. Unlike conventional angling, understanding your line and how it works goes a long way to early success.
Routinely being approached by experienced casters and offered words of advice and encouragement was very welcome and paid off. I learned so much and came away wishing it was spring.

I had a blast, can't wait for the next one!!

8)
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Matt,

I'm glad you found it helpful. I didn't realize that a fellow HawkTalker was in the gym, otherwise I would have said hi. I guess next time I'll have to bring my FH hat. ;-)

The sessions are definitely a good way to get up to speed for the spring, yet you'll find that things are somewhat different when you're on the water, and if there's some wind. A general rule to keep in mind is that trying to hone your casting skills and actually fishing are mutually exclusive. Trying to do both will simply pee pee you off to no end. LOL

Cheers,
Todd
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Was there also. Although I had to cut short my stay (family responsibilities), I enjoyed myself also. See you guys at the next scheduled clinic.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

next one is?
wher.?

thanks.

i need some practicing..pretty rusty here. :lol:

joco
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Joco click the link that Todd has posted up top and go to the calendar and all the dates are there
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Here's the direct link to the Winter Casting page.

http://www.ottawaflyfishers.com/wintercasting.html
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Come on Tuesday.....:shock: ....I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks :lol:
I gotta find another place to practice between sessions :lol: :lol:

Ohoh does that mean I've got the bug :shock: :shock:
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

muskymatt wrote:Come on Tuesday.....:shock: ....I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks :lol:

Hmmm....spending a week in the Keys fishing for bones would be a good place to practice! 8)
Krusty
Participant
Participant

Post by Krusty »

i was there too and really enjoyed it. i will do my best to attend most of them.

lots of knowledgable folks more than willing to help.

jc
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Todd B. wrote:
muskymatt wrote:Come on Tuesday.....:shock: ....I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks :lol:

Hmmm....spending a week in the Keys fishing for bones would be a good place to practice! 8)
You know it would... :lol: ...but with kid's hockey every day of the week, that's not in the cards this year, so I'll have to get a few cardboard fish cutouts for casting accuracy practice and stick to the gym.. :lol:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i did not go like i was supose to go. fly casting..but bad back hold me back sadly.

so i went and look at the 3 fly fishing shoe on wfn tonight..they were cool..ontario carp and gar on fly and the new fly fisher show and one more...still ok night.

i wish we could see some picts off those nights you guys do.

joco.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Lots of fun, learned plenty.....great folks involved.

Nice chattin with Todd and all the others...great ambassadors for fly fishing...

Very knowledgable anglers

Thanks

8)
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Yes, I was there also. Always fun to cast and talk.

8)