Tip for float fishing for steehead

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
salmonfishingcharters
Participant
Participant

Tip for float fishing for steehead

Post by salmonfishingcharters »

Time after time as im fishing in a local river,I see people fishing way to deep :shock: ..here is a good tip..Take a bell weight,heavy enough to pull any float under that you will be useing.Now tie a elastic to the eye of that bell weight..now when you get to your spot take your hook and hook it to the elastic and check the depth of the water..from the the top of your drift to the bottom of your drift :) Now pick a depth to fish were you know you are atleast 6 inches above the bottom...steelhead are like bass..they love coming up for a bait and cant stand anything above them...try this..you will be :shock: to see how high these fish will come up to hit your bait...tightlines hope this helps...
Colin_M
Participant
Participant

Post by Colin_M »

Thanks, a great tip. I've always had difficulty judging the depth of the water.
salmonfishingcharters
Participant
Participant

There is nothing worse than a person next to you fishing 10ft deep in a 5 foot hole :roll: Then to top it off they are setting the hook every 5 seconds..spooking every poor fish in the hole :evil: I carry a dozen or so on me and im allways handing them out..they so handy..Not just for Trout.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Nice system, but I have difficulty visualizing.

Can't you provide more details. Sorry, it just doesn't register. Maybe I'm too tired. But I would greatly appreciate knowing exactly how it works, since I want to apply it to the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY where there are many pools, but I'm new to them and would like to get it right as soon as possible.

Not only for success,but also not to disturb other fly-fishers near by or too close for confort.
:lol:

Unless, your method doesn't apply to fly-fishing.
salmonfishingcharters
Participant
Participant

Ok ...here is a easier way..take some spawn mesh and put enough weight in it to sink your float.Tie it up lik a spawn bag..but leave a big amout of the top on when you trim it.This way you can take your hook when you r ready and hook it there and use it over and over.If you keep your eye out in the stores and online they sell bell weights with cork in them for just this reason.just knowing your depths in the rivers you fish is so important.Well I hope this helps..[/list][/url]
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Tip for float fishing for steehead

Post by LeGrand »

OK, found this post again.

Thanks for the explanation, but I must dumb cause I still can't visualize the rig.

Any pictures or web site link (ex. Youtube)?

I have always understood by seeing.

Sorry.
conory
Participant
Participant

Post by conory »

Hi everyone ... !
Thanks for sharing this helpful information about fishing . I will must try this trick as soon as after reparing my boat . Thaks again .
Never underestimate yourself .
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Thanks for the tip - it IS hard to judge how deep the water is. Learned the hard way with hip waders.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I can't visualize this either with this description.... All I picture is my float sinking being pulled down by the weight.....

From what I can surmise this method would require:

(i) repeated casts to determine the float setting (cast, adjust the float, recast) until the float is no longer pulled under.
(ii) you would need to repeat this for the all key areas of the drift to determine the depth at each point.
(iii) you would then need to set the float to the shallowest depth of the drift.