Bass patterns for rideau and tributaries

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Lil fish
Participant
Participant

Bass patterns for rideau and tributaries

Post by Lil fish »

I went to sail today and picked up a TON of fly tying stuff. Some of it included rabbit strips, synthetic steamer hair, deer hair ect... The only thing is when I sat down at the vise, I didn't have a clue to what the bass like (large and smallmouth). I am very interested in top water or flies that suspend just under the surface but I am open to anything. If you guys have any ideas, let me know! I'll let you know how I do after the opener!

Thanks,
Lil fish
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Bass patterns for rideau and tributaries

Post by beachburger »

Hope you bought some foam sheets too..... :lol:

I've caught more LM bass on the Stealth Bomber than any other fly (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/little ... bomber.htm). I don't put the legs on it. You can tie this one big or small and I recommend putting a very small SPRO swivel 4-5 ft up from the fly to keep the line twist down. A #8 is wicked for early evening bluegills and crappie and smallies will come in and crush it as well. For big versions of this fly, I use a #2 Mustad 37187 because it has a wide gap.

Bunny leeches and Deceivers are also good ones for bass and you'll need to be prepared to unhook a bunch of pike too.

HTH,
Doug
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

For SM, I like to use small foam poppers (#6), though anything that will cause a wake/disturbance will work. Sme additional patterns are :

Quigley's dragon gurgler
Mr. Rapidan Bass Skeeter

For weightless streamers, I am going to experiment with a small variation of a Tarpon Toad for SM. The regular sized tarpon toad should work great for LM, but it should be tied on the appropriate hook for bass.

Cheers,
Todd
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Lil fish
Participant
Participant

Post by Lil fish »

Thank you for your replies, I tied up some stealth bombers in four different sizes. I am going to try the smallest out for bluegill and maybe try for some pike with a rabbit strip slidder I tied up too! :D Todd, I'll tie up some of those tarpon toads too can't wait for the bass opener this year!

Lil fish
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I didn't get the opportunity this spring but I'm sure some tiny #10,#12 Tarpon Toads would also work for trout. And as beachburger will attest, fishing for trout amongst deadfall with poppers, etc is a blast! ;-)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."