On to the ole 'Miss' again

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

On to the ole 'Miss' again

Post by bobfly »

Brought the 3wt with me this time on the theory that the best way to catch a larger fish is to have lighter tackle. Worked really well. This one took a few minutes to get in. SM are such fun!
bobfly
sgtMeowsteen
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: On to the ole 'Miss' again

Post by sgtMeowsteen »

Good Job Bob!

I'll have to get out on the Ole Miss' some weeknight.
I've been out on a couple of weekends but she hasn't been very nice to me yet this year.

sgtMeowsteen
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

I never fish a publicly assessable place on the Mississippi on weekends. There aren't nearly as many fish around as there used to be. The few bigger ones tend to get scattered. I have one place that is not so easy to get to but I also stay away from there on weekends. Also, I don't fish the river for at least one day after a rain, sometimes more depending on the amount. The change in water chemistry must shut their mouths. Don't know if that is a factor on the Ottawa.
bobfly
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Bob not to be critical but you seem concerned about a released fishes health (wont lip hold a 22 in. bass). So why are fishing for smallmouth with a 3 weight :?
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Not to be critical either, but when will you grace upon us the Behemoths within all there glory?
I'm all for "leaving it to ones imagination" but I need more than a Bass's head! :D

Good'ole Mississippi Smallie! Nice fish, I guess :D
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Bob the tease! :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Bob not to be critical but you seem concerned about a released fishes health (wont lip hold a 22 in. bass). So why are fishing for smallmouth with a 3 weight
My 3wt is quite a 'fast action' rod so I can bring in a 3# SM pretty quick. I haven't been catching anything like that this year at my 'go-to' spot on the Miss. I have another place which shall forever be kept secret that usually has some bruisers and I will use my 5/6 Switch rod when I go there.

Bass are fairly tough creatures and can take a bit of abuse, certainly more than trout/salmon. I used to hold the fish up by the lip but our post doc on the Council told me that I shouldn't do it and the reasons why. So I don't do it anymore, even to get a good picture. If you get him off quickly with as little stress as possible, one just might catch it again. And I've done that.

For the record, after I caught the one above I returned with my 5wt.
bobfly