Best approach to get pike on a fly?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Best approach to get pike on a fly?

Post by rex.stpierre »

I plan on fishing a couple small lakes on the Quebec side with 12-20 feet of water everywhere but near shore.

Would anyone have some good advise as to the best approach I should take to hook a pike on the fly?

Pike is the prevalent species on these lakes, perch, sunfish...haven't hooked a bass of walleye there yet...

Bite indicator? Floating line? Weighted streamer with a 7-8 foot leader?
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Best approach to get pike on a fly?

Post by Todd B. »

From what I've read, when the water starts to cool down, pike will move into shallower water and put the feed bag on in prep for winter. You might be able to get away with floating line, however most serious anglers will have a couple of different sinking lines in case they're not near the surface. Weighted flies, sink tips or sinking leaders can help a little, however you would probably only be looking at a max depth of say 6-8 feet.

Because they should be actively feeding, big flies and active retrieves are probably the wat to go, and just cover as much water as you can until you dial into fish.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I suspect that you could get away with a floating line and heavier flies if the fish are in shallow. The weight of the fly and/or you leader should be enough to get it down enough, especially if you let it sink a bit before you start your retrieve. That said, I'm only guessing and I do intend on testing this theory this fall, LOL :mrgreen:
FlyMaker
Participant
Participant

Post by FlyMaker »

Pike aren't really fussy, anything big, streamer or gurgler would work.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Tried this week with three different streamers...

Casting, stripping, drifting, and trolling...nothing for a solid hours...

The I pulled out the bait caster with a fire tiger mepps spinner 4, two Greenbacks and about 15 pike in a couple hours, nothing big but at some point, I was getting a fish every cast.

I miss the way my brookies hit the dry flies...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.