tips for chinooks?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

tips for chinooks?

Post by Streamside88 »

planning on giving the Chinooks a try the week end end coming up any tips as far as lures, flies and rigs?...
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: tips for chinooks?

Post by Todd B. »

1. Avoid weekends.
  2. Go with a 10wt unless you like to run up and down the river chasing BIG fish.
  3. Some popular patterns:
    Black Stoneflies; Green Caddis; Egg flies (moe egg & glo bug style); Egg-sucking Leech; Marabou Speys; Woolly Buggers; Simple hair-wings like a Skunk; Hex Nymphs, Hare's Ear Nymphs (large sizes) and Pheasant Tail Nymphs.
  4. See #1
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

Post by Streamside88 »

is it still worth fishing off the pier with spoons and rapalas at this time of year?? or should i just stick to the river?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

You might get lucky and hook into a brown, but salmon do not feed when they're running up stream. You would probably run the risk of snagging fish in the river if you use spoons or plugs.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

Post by Streamside88 »

i wont be using plugs and spoons in the river ill be float or fly fishing.... i meant generally at this time of year is it still productive enough to fish off the pier for staged salmon or has most of them gone up?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I"m not sure when the run started this season. You might be better off posting that question in the main section, to get a better iea as to how far along this year's run is.
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mitch »

I was fishing east tribs today and there are still a lot of salmon at the stream/river mouth. Unfortunately other than a few small silvers at dawn, none wanted my offerings (roe, jigs and flies).