Steelhead fly-fishing locations?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
mob77
Participant
Participant

Steelhead fly-fishing locations?

Post by mob77 »

As an east coaster I've been an avid atlantic salmon fly-fisherman all of my life. I still get back to the east coast for a week or so every summer to fish, but given that I live in Ontario now I'd love to try my hand at fishing for steelhead on the fly.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on locations in Ontario (relatively close to Ottawa - basically anywhere between Ottawa and Toronto) where there's good spring fishing for steelhead on the flyrod? I've been looking at Port Hope and Wilmot Creek near Peterborough, but in terms of angling pressure and numbers of salmon, does anyone have advice on where I should be looking?

As I've never fished for this species before I'd like to hire a local guide. So if you have any advice in the regard please let me know as well.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Steelhead fly-fishing locations?

Post by zippyfx »

A little out of your range, but...

I know many float for steelhead on the niagra (whirlpool and the glen come to mind). You can likley fly fish from some spots along there.

You may want to look at:

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Ganaraska River

Salmon River, Pulaski, NY
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mitch »

There's significantly more fly fishing opportunities on the Salmon River in New York in comparison to Lake O. tribs on this side of the fence.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

mob77 I sent you a pm :D