Kingston ontario trout help

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
jacobmcd
Participant
Participant

Kingston ontario trout help

Post by jacobmcd »

Hey all,
I am new to the forums hoping to get some help from you guys. So within the last year I picked up fly fishing started out in streams and rivers for trout but now I am moving towards stillwater fishing for all species but of course trout at the top of my list. I tie all of my own flies and feel I have done a good job at self teaching myself to fly fish. Getting a few personal bests in the books like 28lb Salmon and 6lb steelhead both in the fall. But alas that is not the point of this post, I am coming here for some guidance on lakes within a 2 hour drive of Kingston Ontario that can offer trout. I like to get out and fish with my dad but with recent health issues he cannot do all the walking which i commonly do going into lakes in the middle of nowhere or walking a large stretch of river. So what I am hoping to gain from you guys is a lake that there could be a possibility of catching trout but more importantly easy access for the old man so that he can continue to enjoy fly fishing. I'm not looking for anyone's honeyhole I know everyone has one, as do I. I just would like to know of some ministry stocked lake with easy access to get in and out of without having to do too much leg work.

greatly appreciated,
Jake
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Re: Kingston ontario trout help

Post by Trout_83 »

A very convenient option would be bing retreat. You can even rent a small tinner with an electric motor. You can troll with a big streamer with sinking line for some stocked bows
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Trout_83 is right on the money with Bing Retreat. It's a little pricey but if accessibility is a problem it's perfect. Beautiful lake and lots of nice fish, doesn't have the 'stocked pond' feeling of a lot of pay to play lakes either. Other than that, Shiner Lake in Calabogie has lots of small stocked rainbows but is right beside the road and gets pounded. Only other option I can think of is getting RJ to take you out jigging for lake trout on the Big Rideau. Haven't been but it looks like a blast.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Have you ever heard anyone talk about paddy's pond? You would need atv, but you also did mention you didn't mind walking....30 min from k-town very quiet. I think it may have what your looking for.
jacobmcd
Participant
Participant

Post by jacobmcd »

thank you for the replies I looked at the Bing retreat and the place looks perfect for the old man to enjoy a day without the walking. As for Paddy's I have fished there on occasion its a nice little lake sadly my luck with the fly rod in there is lacking I haven't managed a brookie on the fly rod yet.
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

If the bows aren't interested in a big streamer at Bing, switch to a spinning setup with a small gang troll, 18 inch fluorocarbon leader and worm on the end (or a big wooly bugger).

Cheers
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
jacobmcd
Participant
Participant

Post by jacobmcd »

Anyone ever use chironomids at the bing? I am still new into the stillwater fishing area so have yet to use chironomids I have tied up various patterns from Phil Rowleys website but have yet to put them to use. From my understanding I should find a shoal in the 20ft range and run a 20ft leader off my floating fly line cast out and simply wait long enough for the flies to reach bottom and then do a slow hand twist to retrieve, does this sound correct? what about adding split shots and dropper sets to the rig?

With stillwater fly fishing for trout I have only ever caught fish on olive damsels so looking to expand my knowledge and fly pattern selection. I tie all my own flies so I am always looking for some new patterns to add into the boxes. When I get around to it ill eventually make a forum post with my current flies that I tie regularly.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Unlike BC, there are not many local lakes where you'd use chironomids. In most cases they have much more sizable meals available. If you want to added some patterns to your box I'd suggest yellow winged Hamels Killers (#10) and some vampire leeches. If you don't already have one a portable fish finder (such as the HumminBird Smartcast, etc) help to zone in where the fish are in the water column, helping to determine the pattern/presentation to employ. Sometimes just casting into shore can be the ticket, however at the Bing you'd most likely have a continuous stream of panfish on the end of your line.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
jacobmcd
Participant
Participant

Post by jacobmcd »

Thank you for the advice, and I love to add new patterns into the box so if you can think of some more to keep me busy send them my way.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Green Peter Muddler
Snatcher (Olive brite) or any other colour/combination you'd like to try
Balanced leech ( if you use Plil rowley's quick strike indicators)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."