float tubes

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

float tubes

Post by swampsinger »

I have no experience with float tubes. I have been enjoying wading so far but have run into problems with the fast water shallows running out and I find my self retreating due to steep banks with soft bottoms over hanging trees etc. The questions I would put to an experienced tuber are, how easy is it transition from wading to floating and back, and are the tube and fins a ball and chain when you want to wade some riffles and shallower pools.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: float tubes

Post by NMG »

Float tubes are great for stillwater, but I WOULD NEVER recommend one for moving water. I can't stress that enough. You don't want to be floating down a river with your legs hanging 3 feet underneath you, not knowing what they could hang up in. If they do get caught and the tube keeps going (with you in it), you are going to be in a very dangerous situation! Navigating moving water with fins would also be a nightmare and you would be at the complete mercy of the river IMHO.

If you want to do some floats, get out and wade, float a little more, etc., then you should be looking at a pontoon boat. They are made for moving water, they have oars for navigation and there are integrated foot rests that allow you to get your legs up out of the water so they can't hang up. Another option may be a kayak or small raft, but I'm not familiar with those so I'm not comfortable making any recommendations. Maybe some of the other folks on the board can help there.

For what it's worth, I ran a float tube for many years in BC. Once I bought a pontoon, I never used it again. The only advantage I see for a float tube over a pontoon would be for hike in lakes or places where you can't easily get a pontoon in. Pontoons are easier to operate, you sit up higher, you can carry more gear, they float higher, they are incredibly stable and they are more comfortable.
tmacinc
Participant
Participant

Post by tmacinc »

I agree with staying away from a tube around moving water.

I personally use a kayak when I want to access deeper water, but I always leave the waders at home if I take it out. I either wade shallow, or kayak deep. I haven't come across a river where I couldn't walk around a section that I wasn't wadable yet other than the on Ottawa or the Rideau, and for those I would kayak to get away from the rapid areas as there's kilometres between rapids. If you're looking to float rivers that have sections of fast water and get out to wade, a pontoon is probably the best option.

Tom
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

I picked myself up a pontoon boat boat instead of a float tube. I'm planning ahead for this summer and was wondering if anyone has any advise or tips on float day trips. Specifically distance between put in and take outs, and ferrying equipment and vehicles back and forth. I would imagine there is going to be a few "honey would you please pick me up here at ... trips"
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

For the lazy rivers sections of say the Rideau or Mississippi you could use a float tube, though any river with faster flow you're limited to a pontoon or raft style boat for safety reasons. I would not recommend fishing (sit on top) kayaks as they are specifically designed for lakes/calm water.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

I agree with choke on this one.
A kayak is the way to go. And very little risk with a sot yak in fast water. Heck i watch ppl take on white water with them. Kayaks have come a long way in the past few years.
A sit in might keep you a bit dryer but fact it they are less stable then a sit on top
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

As I posted previously, I purchased a pontoon float. I used it a couple of times in the spring then put it aside for wading, which was easier this year with the low water. I recently took up floating again after I modified the pontoon. I can see I'm going to get good use out of it. I got rid of the oars and seat and replace it with a "box" that holds a battery , electric motor, sits you up much higher, with the option of standing to cast, and is easy to jump in and out of when you want to wade.
It takes about 10 mins to rig up with 4 clips . I fashioned all the modifications without altering the original manufacturing. Thinking of pimping it up a bit with a rod/reel and net holsters and the like, but I'll leave that for next spring.
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG (4.25 MiB) Viewed 5824 times
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG (3.92 MiB) Viewed 5824 times
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG (3.19 MiB) Viewed 5824 times