new fall strategy

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

new fall strategy

Post by swampsinger »

I think I'll pack it in for this year and get ready for next spring. The last couple of trips locally have only produced fallfish. I noticed activity in general is way down, I suppose with the drop in temps the bass, crappie, sunfish drop back to deeper water. Another sure sign the little old oriental ladies have given up.
I've really enjoyed learning to fly fish this summer. I've was happy with most of the equipment I purchased. The outfit I have used is a Greys 5 weight with a Rio dt 5 w floating line and an inexpensive shakespear reel. This is a great combo but I found its limitations, I will probably add a 7 or 8 weight combo. Definitely will be upgrading the waders, I cheaped out and ended up throwing them out today.
I've got a fly fishing bucket list going.
Start tying flies {store bought just ain't good enough}
Casting lesson {now that I have bad technique ingrained}
Go fishing in the adirondacks {actually try fishing for trout}
float tube or pontoon {I saw something rise just over there}
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: new fall strategy

Post by Todd B. »

Around here a 5wt is more than adequate for the majority of situations you'd encounter, whether fishing for trout or SM. The heavier rods are typically specialized for particular species or style of fishing. If the only reason to move up is to get a longer cast, I'd recommend casting lessons before a new rod.

With respect to waders, if you're looking for something inexpensive with a warranty, I'd suggest taking a look at L.L. Bean's $99 breathable waders
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

I mistated my line type in the early post, it is actually a wf floating 5 weight line. I find I can throw the typical size nymphs, wet flies,and small streamers around with a little confidence. I have more trouble when I try casting clouser type flies ,large streamers, or a large foam hopper with a dropper nymph. I have not tried to cast poppers or deer hair bass bugs. As "far" as distance "goes" I can easily get the line out to aprox 15 ft past where it changes colour then I hit the wall. I role cast most of the time. I haven't mastered shooting line or any type of hauls. Yeah, now that I've typed it out, I lesson or two probably wouldn't hurt.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

If I'm chucking big wind resistant bass bugs/poppers or heavy wet bunny strip streamers, I'll use my 8wt. With my 4wt I can easily cast Closures, hopper-droppers, etc. Given that you haven't mastered hauling and shooting line yet, I would take advantage of any local casting clinics / courses to improve your casting. Even if you have to pay for is course it is money well spent.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
tmacinc
Participant
Participant

Post by tmacinc »

+1 for getting some local help and work on hauling. Todd helped me out this year a few times..

Another thing to try is to play with your leader length when your switching from nymphs to larger flies. With a small wt rod I always shorten my length as I go bigger in fly size. If you find the cast doesn't feel right when you switch to a weighted clouser or a big streamer, take a few feet out of your leader and see if it's any different.

Tom
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

I have been practicing my casting and trying a few things. I'm getting better and longer casts with the weighted flies. I shortend, and stiffend the leader and by having a little patience on the back cast, I could see and feel the rod load up with the extra weight of the clouser, then powering forward lets me shoot more line. I think now I understand the difference between weighted flies and wind resistant flies. Still working on the double haul.