A question about flies

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

A question about flies

Post by ipjrobson »

I am pretty much a newb when it comes to fly fishing. I have a fly fishing rod but it's a Canadian Tire combo type deal.

Anyhow, the question I have is about using artificial flies. Are there any rules around using them. I was digging around the Ontario regulations and I wasn't able to find anything about using them.

Could anyone provide some insight about any rules that didn't jump out at me when I was reading the Ontario regulations regarding flies?
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: A question about flies

Post by scarkner »

I love fly fishing - flies are the same as any other lure, nothing special in the regs.

- Number of hooks is limited, same as lures (except there is no way you are going to wedge more than 4 hooks on a fly setup :-)
- Don't use presentations that could be interpreted as targeting OOS (out of season) species.

Happy to get out fly fishing with you sometime. I usually don't head out until the water warms up enough to wade comfortably in sandals and shorts :-)
PM me if interested.
bamboorodmaker
Participant
Participant

Post by bamboorodmaker »

Your Canadian tire job will do just fine. Given a little practice I am sure you will be pleased with it. Scarkner is correct as there are no special regs, but avoid the oos species.
In my area we are limited to two flies (or hooks) at a time, but I can't imagine trying to cast more than that. Take your time and enjoy yourself. I suspect you will find fly fishing to be something special. Welcome.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think there was going to be anything specific. I just plan on using some small flies for panfish if they decide to bite.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Ontario doesn't have any fly fishing specific regs so it's just a matter of taking not of any special regs listed for the water you're fishing.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Todd B. wrote:Ontario doesn't have any fly fishing specific regs so it's just a matter of taking not of any special regs listed for the water you're fishing.
Yeah it's just a question of the water you're fishing then. Thanks for the info man
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

scarkner wrote:I love fly fishing - flies are the same as any other lure, nothing special in the regs.

- Number of hooks is limited, same as lures (except there is no way you are going to wedge more than 4 hooks on a fly setup :-)
- Don't use presentations that could be interpreted as targeting OOS (out of season) species.

Happy to get out fly fishing with you sometime. I usually don't head out until the water warms up enough to wade comfortably in sandals and shorts :-)
PM me if interested.
Yeah that would be awesome sometime. I'm sure you could teach me something about fly fishing :D