Early, Early Trout Season Tactics

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
TyM
Participant
Participant

Early, Early Trout Season Tactics

Post by TyM »

Hi guys,
I am sure that many of you, like me, are already thinking forward to Spring. I love ice fishing but I can't wait to be out with the fly rod. I find myself spending all my time looking over stocking lists and maps, and reading over old posts on here. My list of streams to target keeps growing, and its time to start filling the fly boxes.
So, my question to you is, when do you head out to the streams to start fishing for trout (assuming you are in FMZ 18 and season is open all year)? I have heard that you should go when the dandelions come out, when the black flies start biting, when the pussywillows bud, etc. etc.
What tactics do you use? Nymphs and streamers, or do you try dry flies early?
I am interested to hear what you guys are planning for the spring, and maybe this thread will help pass some time until then :lol:
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Re: Early, Early Trout Season Tactics

Post by swampsinger »

I'm not to far from you, and I started fly fishing the area a couple of summers back. I found the trout fishing in streams and rivers pretty dismal, however the fly fishing for smallmouth bass in the same area is fantastic. I also targeted crappie, pike, and pickerel at all the lock/dam tail races of the rideau system with good results. Last summer I honed my skills on sm bass and I found on under utilized stretches of the miss I regularly had 20 to 30 fish secessions. IMHO the MNRF has given up on trout streams and rivers in zone 18. When I used the MNRF fish online site, I found over 170 stocked small lakes and ponds within an hours drive of home. I would imagine most of these are set up for ice fishing and may only be accessed by snowmobile, but thats the plan for this year target stillwater trout. Its going to be a learning curve.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Agreed. Forget the streams with trout. They are too small and brushy and many no longer contain any trout. If really want to try then no need to have a bunch of flies. A few weighted nymphs is all you would need.

By far the best opportunities are the ponds. You will need some sort of craft to get out on the water. Some ponds you can drive to and get a small boat on. For more remote ponds either a float tube you can walk and carry or an ATV to transport a canoe or small watercraft.

On ponds you will need a full sinking line. My favourite technique is to fish where shallow water drops off to deep. I use the full sink line and drag a big buggy dragonfly nymph real slow, usually kicking in my tube or a slow drift in a boat. Not too exciting but catches lots of trout.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

My plan of "attack" for the still waters, is get right up to as many as I can in my 4X4 tj jeep then utilize my pontoon boat,which I can launch pretty much any where. If that goes well I might invest in a lite weight float tube. I would probably go for the outcast trinity, at 7 lbs I think I could pack it in to some more remote spots.
Last summer I upgraded my fly reel to a "cartridge" type with spare spools, and started using other types of line. I have a wf floating , clear intermediate, and full sinking.
I'm always open tips and techniques, like the one you mentioned, and the members of Algonkin Fly Fishers are always steering me in the right direction.
I'm also a little unsure of my fly selection. I thought I just tie up a bunch of the classic flies and I'd be good to go. So I've tied some ,Doc Spratley, Grizzly King, Alexandra,Tomah Joe, Picket Pin, Spruce Fly, Gartside Sparrow, Gartside Magic Minnow, Dark Montreal, Alison Streamer, Zug Bug, Prince nymph. They all look pretty enough but not many of them give me confidence.
TyM
Participant
Participant

Post by TyM »

What kind of cartridge reel did you buy Swampsinger? I've been looking at them but can't make up my mind.
I know there are many more stillwater opportunities for trout around here and I plan on giving them a shot, but for me exploring new streams (even if there are no trout) is how I like to spend my time.
I have a small fishing kayak that is pretty portable, I think I can get that in to some of the more accessible lakes.
What time of year do you guys start fishing for trout in the lakes? Right after ice out? And if you were going to fish streams, when would you start?
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

I have cheeky reel. I ordered a triple play package direct from the manufacturer. They seem to be reasonable quality at a reasonable price with different levels to choose from. I have them rigged with leaders on, in the vest, which happens to have back pockets for spare spools, so its minutes to switch lines. I don't have the experience to know how to use or choose sink tips or poly leaders etc. so I kept it simple for now.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Best way of dealing with leader setup is the old way. Nail knot your leader directly to fly line. When you change leaders leave about 2 ft. of the old leader and cut off 2 ft of the new leader or leave it since its stiff and should turn over fine. If it won't the cut off 2 ft and re-tie to the original leader.

I prefer full sink lines in Stillwater. Sink tips are more suited to moving water.

I use mono leaders I usually make myself (Maxima). With sinking flies I use a floro tippet and a single length of floro on sinking lines. After 40 years of trying the "latest" system its what has worked best for me. But maybe not for you.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

When it comes to leaders thru innocence or ignorance and getting infomation form different sources, I developed my own system. On the Intermediate and sinking lines, I use fluoro leaders with fluoro tippet, on the floating line I use mono leaders with fluoro tippet. I found that tapered leaders have the same butt dia. 1X thru 5X ,and the last 2ft. of the leaders is where the difference is. I tie in a tippet ring at that point. I can often and easily change the tippet due to wear or changing conditons or tactics, carrying several spools of tippet. The leader itself is attached to the line with the standard loop to loop conection and lasts a long time. I find the ease of this method encourages me to change my tippet when necessary due to wear or tactics. The draw back that comes to mind is I can easily change the length of the tippet but its hard to add to the butt section. I've heard of that but never done it.