crappie on the fly

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

crappie on the fly

Post by swampsinger »

Here we go, got some nice crappie this afternoon on the Rideau system locks. Top fly, a white "mariboo clouser" tied on a mustad 3366 # 6.

The fly would be more accurately called a "schminnow", tied in a smaller version. A simple and effective crappie fly.
Last edited by swampsinger on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: crappie on the fly

Post by RJ »

Good stuff. Some of the most impressive Crappie fishing I've seen was a fella from Edmonton I was guiding, he threw bugs all afternoon and destroyed em. He was on a mission to catch a fish in every province on his fly rod, I think he only had 2 left when he left the Lund. Kinda cool.

RJ
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

I've "rod and reel" fished all my life, and just started fly fishing a couple of summers ago. Some of the biggest differences I find between the two are fly fisherman pay way more attention to the bait. I now can identify several species of stoneflys, mayflys, and midges, who knew. Another is you slow down, there's no "running and gunning" your wading alot, so you tend to pick over every nook and cranny on a spot before you move on, either catch the only fish on that spot or all of them.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

Seems like the crappie have moved out and the pike moved in, got four small pike on about ten casts. Top fly "pearl chenille and grizzly buggar" on a j2 604 # 6 jig hook. I've also got a streak going, fly fished 4 days in a row. I'm going to see how long I can keep it going.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

The crappie seem to be hit and miss, it looks like they move into the locks after a day or two of warm sunny weather and move out when its cold and cloudy. Top fly still the schminnow.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Very nice! I find fly fishing better suited for crappie fishing as the weightless flies naturally suspend. Shminnow and ice-dub wooly buggers are both great. Best tip for crappie fishing is use 2-3 flies at a time if you're comfortable casting them. I also use larger hooks than most to try and keep small bluegill off the hooks.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

The warm spell has got them back on the bite. I got 23 in an hour and a half this morning. Top fly the grizzly buggar. Yesterday I did try a two fly combo the bluegills like it, the crappie weren't in, but it is fun to get two at a time. I think the one your fighting puts a lot of action on the other fly. :D
The locks are a great place to try new things and generally practice fly casting, easy access ,close parking, lots of room to back cast and god bless them, they keep the grass trimmed. Streak is at 11.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

I found the crappie bite sluggish with the cold dreary weather. Yesterday the two fly rig saved the day. I started with the #6 pearl grizzly buggar and had little action, other than the odd sunfish, mostly just nipping the mariboo tail. I thought if the sunnys are biting I'll go with the flow, and added a zug bug trailer. Over the next 2 hrs got 16 crappie. I suppose they wanted the after dinner mint instead of the steak.
Top fly Zug bug tied on a # 12 c49 mustad hook.
LeslieTug
Participant
Participant

-

Post by LeslieTug »

For my money, that is ultra cool. I have a couple of 3 weights that I use up in the Shenandoah Park. I also use them for crappie and Bluegill and they are a blast. Nice fishing.
Attachments
14.gif
14.gif (4.95 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
spedisjonor
Participant
Participant

Post by spedisjonor »

From money, we buy the rods and reels in use condition ....I think this idea is discussing it is just east of money and time.....last time I buy some reels and rods from an online fishing store UAE a guy it seems in good conditions but when I use it within some catch it's broken .....