Thoughts on crayfish and crayfish patterns

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Thoughts on crayfish and crayfish patterns

Post by swampsinger »

It seems to me that I see a lot more crayfish in the eastern portion of the Rideau system, than I do in the upper reaches of the Mississippi. I believe this is due to the composition of the water. The Rideau flows over more shale and limestone where the Mississppi flows over more granite. Its my understanding that crayfish molt and grow new shells as they get larger and require dissolved calcium or lime or something to do this.
I've tried crayfish patterns a couple of times and don't have much confidence in them. I've had a lot more success with streamers, leech, large stonefly and nymph patterns.
Do you think I'm missing out on some action not fishing crayfish patterns in this area?
Last edited by swampsinger on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Thoughts on crayfish and crayfish patterns

Post by banjo »

If the fish are feeding on crawfish...then you can't go wrong trying. I last used a crawfish pattern in Algonquin park years ago for specks after catching one and it spit up a crayfish in the canoe. I switched and didn't regret it. I only had a pretied crawfish pattern that I had bought for bass.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

I like that rationale. I suppose thats why some would use a stomach pump.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Heavy olive woolly buggers work just as well.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

swampsinger wrote:It seems to me that I see a lot more crayfish in the eastern portion of the Rideau system, than I do in the upper reaches of the Mississippi. I believe this is due to the composition of the water. The Rideau flows over more shale and limestone where the Mississppi flows over more granite. Its my understanding that crayfish molt and grow new shells as they get larger and require dissolved calcium or lime or something to do this.
I don't fly fish but I definitely learned something new today :handgestures-thumbupleft:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/