conditions are excellent

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

conditions are excellent

Post by swampsinger »

Went out this morning for my first wading trip for bass. The conditions on the Mississippi are top notch the water flow, water level, and clarity are ideal for wading. Bonus, the smallies have the feed bag on. 20 plus fish in the 14'' to 16'' range, the big guy managed to snap my 3X tippet. This will be a good week to get out if you can.
Top fly the usual suspect, a clouser tied on a Mustad # 4 S71SNP-DT {34007 Eq.}
The clouser is one of the best all time flies for "non trout" fly fishing. Its durable, the fly pictured accounted for most of the bass today and is ready to fish tomorrow. The more I tie this fly the more sparse it gets. What used to be a "pencil" thickness is now a "match stick" or less of deer hair. I believe by tying it sparse it makes a nice size and translucent silhouette. I like to go light on bottom to darker on the top.
gotoclouser.JPG
gotoclouser.JPG (786.5 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: conditions are excellent

Post by smitty55 »

Good for you. I noticed three fly fisherman wading the Miss down by the McNeely street bridge in CP the other day. They must have got your memo.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter