Fly fishing problem

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
sunnyrose1994
Participant
Participant

Fly fishing problem

Post by sunnyrose1994 »

Just picked up this Crystal River combo the other day. Can now keep a rod and a few pieces of tackle in the truck just in case.

So, since I have never tried fly fishing, thought I may give it a try. What would be a good line to start out with as a beginner? I assume there are as many options as spinning gear for line....

Also, can anyone suggest a good site for tips and tricks of the trade for fly fishing. Would really like to learn about this.

THanks in advance..
c_shep
Participant
Participant

Re: Fly fishing problem

Post by c_shep »

Hmmm
The line has to match the combo you bought. IMO anything from a 5-7 wt floating line would be a good place to start. There are endless options and techniques to explore. You can fish for almost anything in most parts of the water column. The deeper you fish the tougher that becomes. To explore everywhere you have to get into specialized lines and rods which is fun but expensive.

I'd learn to cast. Short close cast the slowly build distance over time. Put on small flies like beadhead nymphs or buggers and fish for panfish or something where you would normally get a bunch with your spinning gear. Get used to casting, catching, and manipulating the line in your hands. Branch out from there.

The orvis site under fly fishing has a resource center that has a number of instructional videos. Do a bit a research and narrow it down from there. You tube is packed full of videos as well.
https://www.orvis.com/fly-fishing

Good luck.
Ches
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Fly fishing problem

Post by Todd B. »

On a side note, I would not leave your gear in your truck whenever the weather is such that your truck's interior heats up. Heat will destroy your fly line. If you've invested in a good line, it should last years if you take care of it, but leaving it in a hot trunk, etc., will ruin it in no time.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."