Water in Lower unit

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
rickr
Participant
Participant

Water in Lower unit

Post by rickr »

When I drained oil from lower unit, I saw oil mixed with water.
I know it could be a problem. Dont know how to fix it.
If I ignore it, what more problems will happen?

Regards.
jiggy2006
Participant
Participant

Post by jiggy2006 »

water in oil.. means your lower unit seal(s) are gone.. it could be 1 seal.. or 2 or 3 ..whatever.. beforing knowing, need to do pressure test and find out which. it can be the prop shaft seal, o-ring, shift shaft seal ..those are the most common ones.. if you dont fix it, and let it sit corrosion will occur.. if you use it knowing water got in the lower unit, eventually you'll damage the gears.
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haybay Larry »

Rickr,
you most certainly will have further problems if you don't look after the problem. One thing to look at that may be part of the problem is fishing line between the propeller and the seal. You should annually remove the prop and grease the shaft. In so doing you will notice any line in this area.
One other thing to check, if you replace the lower unit oil make sure there is only one "o" ring on the drain screw. more than one can be a problem. These are just a few simple things you can check out...Larry
swampbuster
Participant
Participant

Post by swampbuster »

Sometimes if you just put new gaskets on the drain and fill screws it can fix the problem. If the water freezes in the gears the ice can cause damage. Also a pressure test can be misleading I had leaking seals and it did not show on two differant pressure tests.I just had mine done and it cost 350.00 (115 hp)but much cheaper than new lower end. :D

Russ