Transducers: what is the range and angle of coverage?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Spoonman
Participant
Participant

Transducers: what is the range and angle of coverage?

Post by Spoonman »

This year, I have a brand new portable fishfinder unit (Eagle Cuda 168). It's been fun learning about it while on the water. ;)

My question is: how do transducers project the signal down into the water column? While fishing in a small tinny boat, I had it set up correct and it ran fine. However I was recently in a canoe, and mounted it onto the hull sideways. I wondered whether it was giving an odd signal because of this. The screen output looked OK.

Basically I'm not sure whether the signal is in a 3D cone, or a "flat" 2D cone (if you know what I mean). I get the feeling I may need to add a diagram or two to explain my question.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks :)
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Transducer questions

Post by Seaweed »

This information will help you out

http://www.eaglenav.com/en/Support/Tips ... cer-Guide/

CUDA 168 Fishfinder - High-performance, low-profile 200 kHz Skimmer® transducer with built-in temp delivers a wider, more effective fish detection area of up to 60° with high sensitivity settings - Operates at boat speeds up to 70 mph (61 kts)

So probably you were getting enough signal for it to work but still you would have had fun trying to know where the fish was... hope this helps.
Spoonman
Participant
Participant

Post by Spoonman »

Thanks, Seaweed!