Repairing Cracked Aluminum

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Repairing Cracked Aluminum

Post by fiiish »

Recently, I found a 2" - 3" crack in the aluminum of my 14' Princecraft tinny.

I've looked online and found a few products that might do the trick to fix it, with one of them called DuraFix.
After watching the video on their website it seems like it would be simple enough to use and tough enough to last.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this stuff or a product like it? What were the results?

Also, I'm open if anyone has any other suggestions that are proven to work, including any references to a place that fixes cracks in aluminum boats.

Thanks in advance.
brysimon
Participant
Participant

Post by brysimon »

:roll: Hi...This suggestion is not for a flexing crack. Rub the area with steel wool, then clean the area with acetone. Mix and place 5 minute epoxy from both sides of the crack. Once hard cover the area over on both sides with aluminum foil tape (foil that is used on duct pipes etc.)
I repaied a canoe and boat this way in the past and it worked.
Good luck.
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

lots of small welding shops can weld this
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

I would also go with the welding ! It's good for a long time !
|Dore|
hoytman
Participant
Participant

Post by hoytman »

Welding is your best ,bet but with no tig welder it may be difficult or more expensive than you would like. Ottawa fasteners carriers an aluminum repair kit that works alot like "JB Weld". It can even be welded it is such a good compound. The product is made by "Loctite" and is probably the best on the market.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

I have had this same problem before, and have tried a lot of different solutions (not really solutions). If the crack is in an area that flexes like in the bottom of your boat then an epoxy likely wont last long and end up leaking or cracking. I would say your best bet is to have it welded.

orrsey
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

A lot of good suggestions here, but I have to implore you to get it fixed by a welder who is certified to weld aluminum.

Durafix - Getting the right temperature is a bugger... if you use propane it will take forever to get the aluminum hot enough to bond with the durafix. If you use MAPP gas, and you are not careful... you will burn holes in your aluminum... don't ask how I know this... :oops: :oops: :oops:

JB Weld, Durabond, StarBrite, WaterWeld... ANY two part epoxy putty - It will work great. You will be able to smooth it out with some water as soon as you apply it and make it look great. It will be water tight!!! Then when two years pass... you will do it again!! :P :P

If this is a keel fix.. and it is where the sand and pebbles grind it down when you beach it... it likely will not last as long.

Get it welded. Generally, they will charge you for an hour or an hour and a half's work plus material... WORST case scenario.... about $200 if they have to put on a patch and it is a foot long. I would be surprised if it would be more than $80 to $100 if it is a smallish crack.

Worth it in my books. I know a guy in Shawville who is certified and does boats all the time, but I would bet you could find some in Gatineau around the airport area who would do the same!!

Craig
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I got an 18" gash fixed on my tinny for about $80.00. They welded a patch on the inside and on the outside Not sure of I can post the welding shop name on here. But I sent a pm to fiish. PM me if you need the shops info. It's in Ottawa South.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
ELLIS
Participant
Participant

Post by ELLIS »

You guys might want to check out G/flex Epoxy from West Systems. It might do the trick for small holes and cracks in your aluminum boats. They make epoxies designed for boats.

The manufacturer of my Kayak referred me to them as G/flex had THE epoxy to repair plastic boats.

Home page: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UCOziXeTXzY?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

A lot of marine/chandlery shops in Canada carry these brand.

I have attached their video for their kayak repair. Very interesting.

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2a5RlcP-4JE?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Cheers,

Bill
Last edited by ELLIS on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

And the winner is....
Wallyboss wrote:I got an 18" gash fixed on my tinny for about $80.00. They welded a patch on the inside and on the outside Not sure of I can post the welding shop name on here. But I sent a pm to fiish. PM me if you need the shops info. It's in Ottawa South.
Great to know! I may PM you for that in the spring when I have my tinnies in dry dock!

Craig
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

I never did go get it welded, just ended up using a lot of Marine Goop.
It's holding up pretty well with absolutely no leaks at all.

I'll likely get it welded where Wallyboss suggested in the off season just so it doesn't get any bigger.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. :D
Marine5068
Participant
Participant

Post by Marine5068 »

I'm a certified welder and would say to fix it that way for sure.
But as stated, make sure that they are well experienced in aluminum welding as it can make all the difference.
Aluminum is probably one of the most challenging metals to weld, but done correctly it will be stronger than the surrounding metal and never come apart again.
I would do it for you with my Lincoln TIG welder (the old beast), but I'm WAY too far from you.
Good luck and keep us updated on the job.
~Stan <'/////////><
Catch Your Limit, But Limit Your Catch.