Boat Hoist Advice

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Boat Hoist Advice

Post by scarkner »

Yes - I know this belongs in the boat section, but I can't post there (probably due to loss of my board history).

Last year I bought a boat hoist, the type that sits in the lake, you drive your boat onto it, then crank the boat up out of the water.

Putting the hoist in and out of the water is a huge pain in the ***, and my hoist is pretty much the smallest one they make.

I feel like I am missing something.

Any tips, tricks or advice on the best way to get your hoist into and out of the water would be hugely appreciated.

The ground up to the water is quite level, but then drops abruptly about 3-4 feet over boulders into the lake which then continues a nice gentle slope (the boulders were put there to prevent erosion). So those large wheels you see on docks may work, but only marginally.

Do people normally take them apart and re-assemble them every year in the water to cut down on weight?
Do you just get a "bunch of guys" to each take a corner?
Do you drag it out with your boat?

Thanks!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Boat Hoist Advice

Post by lape0019 »

My dad has a 4500 or 5500 lb model and we usually have someone do it for us. I don't know why but he just pays the guy to put the aluminum docks and the lift in at the same time. We did put it in one year and basically got 4 guys and two paddle boats. We lowered the sides onto the paddle boats.Move it to where we wanted it and had two guys lift the hoist up on one side to remove the paddle boat and drop her into place. Once on the ground, push up on the other side and remove the other boat and drop her down.

The guy who puts them in uses a similar concept but he has a special floating dock he uses. I think it even has wheels on it.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I have a lift for my 20' Tracker and I would never go back to anything else. The first year was a pain trying to drag it out with 2 guys..I called the manufacturer and bought a wheel kit from them....a bit expensive, but well worth it. I can now move the lift freely by myself without having to wait for someone to help me. As far as the boulders go, the wheels are plastic and probably 15" in diameter so 2 guys could roll the lift over the boulders but I would recommend buying a 2 ton come-a-long and then you can winch it over the boulders when you bring the lift out in the fall....

Steve
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Good to hear that the wheel kits work, I may give that a try.
FishToLive
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishToLive »

I don't have a boat lift yet (but one is in the plans for sure...). I went to the Toronto boat show and I spent quite a bit of time comparing and talking to salesmans regarding the different models/styles. I did bring up the removal and install process with all of them. One of them had a great suggestion: raise the lift (without a boat) until the cross pieces are about 18-24" above water, slide 2 dock floats http://www.homedepot.ca/product/400lbs- ... oat/953737 (depending on the weight of your lift, you might need more), lower the lift and the lift will start to float, at this point you will be able to maneuver it around.

Keep in mind that I have tried this method but it should work...
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

FishToLive wrote:I don't have a boat lift yet (but one is in the plans for sure...). I went to the Toronto boat show and I spent quite a bit of time comparing and talking to salesmans regarding the different models/styles. I did bring up the removal and install process with all of them. One of them had a great suggestion: raise the lift (without a boat) until the cross pieces are about 18-24" above water, slide 2 dock floats http://www.homedepot.ca/product/400lbs- ... oat/953737 (depending on the weight of your lift, you might need more), lower the lift and the lift will start to float, at this point you will be able to maneuver it around.

Keep in mind that I have tried this method but it should work...
This is basically what the guy that intalls it for us does.