FISHFINDER ADVICE?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

FISHFINDER ADVICE?

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

Hey Guys,

recently bought myself a sweet little boat well not little but big enough, wondering if anyone has advice on a fish finder. I was thinking of going with something that has Down Imaging as well as Side Imaging. Just not sure I want to fork out $800 on a fish finder, things change so fast and new product always coming out. Should I sacrifice either getting one with just down imaging or side imaging? what is better? Or by a cheap $200 or $300 one? Does anyone have an old one they would like to sell that works?
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Re: FISHFINDER ADVICE?

Post by Jason Daoust »

If its for the bow then down is all you need. If it is going on the console then side is your best bet. Also with side you also have down.
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: FISHFINDER ADVICE?

Post by BradGuenette »

The cheapest unit your going to find with down&side imaging would be the Hummingbird 598. Another unit to look at would be the Elite 7 HDI(DI only). If you just want it to know your depth then just buy a cheap unit. I love fishing deep water and for that side view offers numerous advantages deep weedlines/rock piles. But shallow and bank fishing can benefit from side imaging as well. Even hitting the bank. Lets say you are moving down a bank some 20 ft from the shore. Sure you can see stumps (on the bank) and laydowns. But what about the other structure/cover that is between you and the bank. You may be missing a ton of bass holding habitat and thats where SI comes into play……just food for thought

In my opinion it is about time management. I feel recreational anglers have less time to enjoy getting out on the water & fishing. Do your prefer Casting or Catching? If you prefer Catching fish and have a limited time to do so side imaging can maximize your time on the water, who wouldn't that add extra value? Being able to locate the fish before you cast is one of the huge advantages and the time savings for fishing in areas that will produce the highest odds of
sucess.

Here is a used 798 for sale, great price for a unit that is over $1000 new.

http://fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=43496

Brad
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada