Trolling Motor -- Battery Advice

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Trolling Motor -- Battery Advice

Post by Snag »

As some of you know I am the proud new owner of a Minn Kota 38lbs thrust transom mount. (Thanks DrB!!!)

It's going to be put on a 12ft aluminum boat with a 9.9.

Can anyone recommond the best matched battery that I can purchase from Canadian Tire? (I will shop at other places too, I just want to see what ppl recommend from CT).

Just a side note... I'm going to have to be able to carry the battery from my boat to the cottage (150ft).
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

By the biggest deep cycle you can carry :lol:

Take good care of it, charge after every use, distilled water only, keep it charged over the winter. This is the fourth year for mine, a lot of use, it's still kickin
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Biggest you can carry!... :lol:

I've got two Nautilus from CT...3 seasons in...no problems... 8)

RJ
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Snag..this can be taken care of by my brother in law....
Total Battery.
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

Just get the biggest one you can carry. A 31 is as big as you can go and I believe they weigh around 70 pounds approx.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Battery

Post by Seaweed »

Snag I used to have an Energizer Deep Cycle battery that I got from WallyMart and it used to last longer than any other battery I knew of that anyone else was running in their boat. I did a five day fishing trip once with this battery not going dead... it just kept on going... enter the Bunny and drum.

They are under $100.00 too.

Amazing power. Check em out. I run Deka batteries now with my 24v system and they kick butt also...but are a bit more expensive... I have done the same five day trip with these batteries also... and they passed with flying colors.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Also have the CT Nautilus. Works great! :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

Why only buy 1??? Buy 2! Have a spare! And buy the biggest MOFO's ya can....let Bacon carry them!!! Then add an on board charger to the Xmas list you "accidently" drop in his truck! After carrying that battery a few times, he'll have one arm longer than the other....or you'll have a new on board charger in yer tinny hehehe!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

Those batteries get heavy you mite want the hand cart can tire sells aswell.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

I'd recommend a "Big Red" from total battery and get yourself a small dolly (or use a wheel barrow if you got one) to carry your battery back and forth. Those things get heavier with each step especially when you're walking up hill!!! The big red costs a bit more than the CT brands but is bigger, heavier and I have yet to run it down.
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

Hey Sag i've been in the same situation except mine was an Endura 30. The deep cycle from CT will last time wise about 5 hrs from my personnal experience.

I would go for an RV27 grade from minn kota or the equivalent. The size and weight acceptable for your small boat and you should last about 2 days of normal fishing in a moderate wind without having to recharge.

One thing I did with mine is modify it into a bowmount with a bracket made of aluminum and added a on/off pedal. The only difference is that I must adjust the direction and speed by hand.

The whole mod thing cost me about 35$.

Still have the motor by the way as a back-up in case my main TM die.

If you want some more details PM me.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Ive not had much luck with the CT batteries - gone through 2 in 5 years. Switched to the Trojan from Total Battery, a few bucks more but hopefully worth it. If you can't recharge it without removing it from the boat the size may be an issue, otherwise get the biggest that you can.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Mikey wrote:Why only buy 1??? Buy 2! Have a spare! And buy the biggest MOFO's ya can....let Bacon carry them!!! Then add an on board charger to the Xmas list you "accidently" drop in his truck! After carrying that battery a few times, he'll have one arm longer than the other....or you'll have a new on board charger in yer tinny hehehe!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Get off the Crack man...
Hey Sag i've been in the same situation except mine was an Endura 30. The deep cycle from CT will last time wise about 5 hrs from my personnal experience.
Oh man LL...it's not nice to call someone that... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Battery

Post by Graembo »

quote="Seaweed"] I used to have an Energizer Deep Cycle battery that I got from WallyMart and it used to last longer than any other battery I knew of that anyone else was running in their boat. .[/quote]

Iv had good luck with the energizers too, wally world even gives u a $5 or $10 discount if u bring in an old battery (any kind). Gotta love the old sears die hards tho, had a cranking battery on a 150 w/ all kinds of electronics and it was still goin strong after 5 seasons. unheard of... ( i used to kill one a year at least)

I'd go with the energizer and get a good charger that won't blow if u reverse the polarity by accident (dark, drunk....whatever it happens)

And don't use distilled water in them either, get ahold of the straight acid and use that to top up when neccessary. That's a tip from another battery shop owner back home.

G
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

Your right Bacon: major typo!
LMAO :D :D :D :D
Sorry Snagthis for the sag ...this :D My mind was somewhere else this morning. Anyway your a bit young to be sagging...

LL