C.B's for Boats????

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
SteelHeaderOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

C.B's for Boats????

Post by SteelHeaderOntario »

Day All
Considering installing on my boat.
Downside is that I remove everything(riggers,Fishfinder)after
Days use so they don't get lifted..
I found these and like to know if they work the same way as a reg. C.B
or Can you tell me what to look for in a C.B

These are used but in great shape. Guaranteed against DOA. Come with head vox microphones. The pair were purchased for over $200.00. Perfect for hiking, hunting, biking, fishing or anything that needs you to be in touch.

Cobra's HH37ST CB Handheld Radio. Cobra's patented HH37-ST Soundtracker Cuts noise up to 90%...and only Cobra has it. New Compact Design Allows maximum portability and comfort. Recharging Jack Allows charging of Ni-Cad batteries in unit with AC wall charger (not included). Speaker/Microphone Jack Allows use with combination speaker/microphone accessory. Low Battery Indicator Special LED illuminates to let you know when batteries are getting low. DC Power Cord Included For in-vehicle use... plugs into vehicles cigarette lighter. High Efficiency Flexible Antenna Provides maximum range and bends without breaking. Omni-Directional Microphone Allows voice to be picked up from multiple directions. Up To 4 Miles Range Range will vary between 1/2 and 4 miles depending on geographic terrain.

SPECIFICATIONS: Unit Dimensions: 6-3/4 H x 2 W x 1-3/4 D inches, Frequency Control: Phase Lock Loop Synthesizer RF Output Power: 4 Watts (Maximum FCC allowed) CB Channels: 40 Channels (26.965 to 27.405 MHz) Batteries: 9 AA-Alkaline or NiCad required (not included. Try a pair of time-tested HH37ST CB's today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not much of a electronics minded person and appreciate the Help.
Getting preped for trips to Quint,Niagra,Lake O for the 2006 Seasons

Thanks again,Ron
SteelHeaderOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

C.B.s

Theres also this 1 I was looking at.
The radio features a 40 channel digital tuner which locks accurately onto the selected channel, 4 watt output power which delivers maximum communication range, a channel 9 switch which provides instant access to emergency channel 9, a digital power meter which shows incoming signal strength and transmit power. Other features include a CB/PA switch, compact design, squelch control and a locking microphone connector.
500W PUSH-TO-TALK MICROPHONE WITH CLIP, COIL CORD & SCREW-TYPE C
The radio measures 4 1/2 inches wide by 1 7/8 inches high by 7 1/8 inches deep.

Other features include a dual conversion superhetrodyne receiver, squelch control, RF gain, filter switch, CB/PA swith, a large LED channel indicator, illuminated power meter and a locking microhoneconnector. This Brand New & Factory Sealed Radio Also Comes With A 3 Year Warranty
Thanks Again,Ron
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Post by carp-starter »

SteelHeaderOntario, why would you want to get a CB? You posted twice and all you stated were specifications on 2 CB. I believe that you will need a CB license.

Is it for communication between friends only – hiking, hunting, boating, fishing, etc - or anything that needs you to be in touch. If this is the case, why not get a set of GMRS/FRS. The max distance of communication varies depending on how much you wish to spend on your unit – but will go from about 5 miles to about 11 miles (maybe). License is not required and can be used anywhere.

You say that you want to install it on your boat. For what purpose? With a CB on your boat, you will probably not get much help from anyone when you need help. No one will hear you. For this purpose and general communication, If you have a cruiser, I would get a fixed mount VHF. If you have a fishing boat, I would get a hand held VHF. Then in case of an emergency, other boats and probably the Canadian coast guard will hear your request for help. Unless I am mistaken, not too many people will have a CB on the water. You will need to pass a test for a VHF and you cannot use it on land – only on the water.

Good luck
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

As carp-starter states, I do not believe CB is the same a VHF.
You want VHF.

10-4 good buddy.

M.T. Livewell
Last edited by M.T. Livewell on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Post by carp-starter »

No, CB (citizens band) is not the same as a VHF (very high frequency, marine radio). FRS stands for Family Radio Service. And GMRS stands for General Mobile Radio Service.

CB was popular about 30 years ago and used for mainly communication by truckers and in cars on the highway. Probably it is still popular by truckers today. It was used in a movie, “Smokey the Bear”, a movie of about 30 years old.

GMRS/FRS are both used between people you know who wish to communicate together when out somewhere together – hunting, fishing, hiking and etc. It is for personal use. Do not expect to get emergency help unless you are with friends and they have a GMRS/FRS unit.

VHF is for communication ONLY on water – it is a 2-way marine radio AND NOT LEGAL ON LAND. It is used for emergency purposes (starting on channel 16) and for general communication (on another channel specifically assigned for general communication or for vessel to vessel communication). The Canadian coast guard usually monitors channel 16 – 24/7.

On my cruiser I had 2 VHF radios – a fix mount radio and a hand held back up. The hand held was also used on the small boat.

I think that you are looking for something that can be used for “FUN COMMUNICATION”. I think that you also have a boat. I know that it would cost money. But I would buy a hand held VHF (your life may depend on it) and a GMRS/FRS for the fun communication.

On my cruiser I also had 2 GPS – a fix mount unit and a hand held unit as backup and to use in the small boat. Being stuck on a boat in fog even on the Ottawa River would not be an enjoyable situation for me.
SteelHeaderOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

CBs

Got an Error Message"Debug"mode first attempt to Post.
Second attempt worked and ended up w/ 2 Post
Thanks Guys
Thats what I was trying to find out.
I got messages in regards to VHF
Will be looking for a FRS unit.
Thanks Again,Ron